Who's listening to what?

\m/>_<\m/

Moderators: SCUMBAG, INKoRP, spud, Rock, Clan Leader

spud
Wiggles

Who's listening to what?

Postby spud » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:18 pm

Cos this forum is dead I figured I give a shot at posting a thread that may get some interest going. I know we all have pretty diverse music tastes and everyone likes sharing their music so post about your current listening habits. I know I'm probably not going to go and listen to most of the stuff that gets posted here, and I know most of you aren't going to go listen to the stuff I post about but it' s still interesting to read about what you fags are listening to :D

It'd be great if you took the time to provide some information, since all those "what I'm listening to now " threads you see on other forums where people just post the band name and song they are listening to are boring as all fuck

spud
Wiggles

Akercocke

Postby spud » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:34 pm

I'll get the ball rolling :)

I've been listening to for a while now and they have been fantastic always, but they just released a new album and have smashed their way to being my favourite band at the moment.

They play a crazy blend of black and death metal with some decidedly progressive elements - sounds messy but they pull it off brilliantly and are one of the most original extreme metal acts going around. Lyrically it is all very Satanic, in an Old English Aleister Crowley sort of way, not the in your face "worship satan" style that most black metal bands employ, and they really love women with big titties as well :).

Their vocalist is also (IMO) the best vocalist for this style of metal going at the moment. He is able to pull off mad screeching, hate filled style, and low gurgling very demonic sounding vocals as well as more traditional death metal style vocals, and he also has a great normal singing voice.

Here is a little Youtube love:

This is the single from their 3rd album "Choronzon", the track is entitled "Leviathan" and has no harsh vocals at all, so is probably a good place to start if you don't dig on that style. It is still very representative of their music as well.

[youtube]hx8i3hDQrBc[/youtube]

Another one; this one from their 4th album "Words that Go Unspoken, Deeds that Go Undone", the track is called "Verdelet" and is fully representative of their style, with all vocal styles present and some heavy riffing. Also plenty of their progressive side, and some very tidy guitar solo's as well :)

[youtube]XX74vQhA3qQ[/youtube]

Quick edit to add in their newest video; for the song "Axiom" off their new album "Anitchrist". Again plenty of progressive elements mixed in with the general mayhem, a very good song that gets better each time you listen to it. Quality isn't the best here but you can stil tell what's going on :)

[youtube]VzdFTth68pM[/youtube]

There are plenty of other vids available on Youtube, and their website site has mp3's and other stuff.
Attachments
akercocke.jpg
akercocke.jpg (77.2 KiB) Viewed 6672 times
Last edited by spud on Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greatbloke
Clan Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Greatbloke » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:25 pm

Akercoke ... never heard of 'em, but I love the first clip there Spud.

I've been enjoying Judas Priest's Live in London DVD lately. It features Ripper Owens singing rather than their usual Singer Rob Halford.

Ripper was a nobody that was a fan of Priest, he learnt to sing and made his own Priest cover band. Later he auditioned and got the dream come true job of singing with his idols.

.... And Boy can he sing.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ickXAsstmAg[/youtube]

Greatbloke
Clan Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Greatbloke » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:48 pm

Weird and gay and silly.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vphZIgMio_w[/youtube]

spud
Wiggles

Postby spud » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:44 pm

heh, I'm glad you fixed the linkage there GB ;)

Never been a fan of Judas Priest (except teh Green Manalishi, and of course Breaking the Law :lol:), but that was a good song to pick and one of the highest quality youtube clips I've seen.

That second one though, could have lived without seeing the first 15 seconds of that before stopping it :D

Greatbloke
Clan Member

Postby Greatbloke » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:44 am

Oh LOL, I dodn't know it was broken.

Yeah I can understand u not liking some Judas Priest. I don't like it all.

You didn't miss anything Spud .. the whole video is like that ha ha.

kanonfoda
Clan Member

70's forever

Postby kanonfoda » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:16 pm

I guess there is no real need to post in here as everyone knows I'm still living in the 70's. That means I am currently listening to.....

........the same ol' stuff. :D

My very first torrent download was "average rock and roller" the fifth and last album by Buffalo. This now completes the set. Buffalo were a Sydney band in the seventies and I saw them live when they were the support band for Rainbow when they toured. I thought they were great. Maybe Rock remembers them (and will probably laugh at my liking them) :wink:

You should have a listen to them GB as I think you would like them. (Their first 3 albums anyway)

The latest albums I have listened to are "ten thousand fists" by Disturbed and "noise for musics sake" by Napalm Death. Are this current enough or am I still showing my age and bad taste? :|

Looked at the first two clips of aftercock (this sounds more like a Spud group!) :wink: but there was something wrong with the mike in the second one as I couldn't understand a word - there was just some gutteral grunting....

Haha, you sure like you HEAVY stuff Spud. :)
Did I just say that?

spud
Wiggles

Postby spud » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:47 pm

Yeah Kanon, I do like it heavy, the way satan intended it to be :D
And Napalm Death hey? That is their "best of" and has a large number of classic death and grind tracks, Napalm are the originators and pull no fuckin punches at all. They are coming to Aus in September which will be sweet as virgin honey ;)

Here is some more stuff, more aimed at you old kents, a couple of bands locking into some serious Sabbath worship :)

First off is Sahg, and band with a very black metal name consisting of several cunts from some serious black metal bands (such as Gorgoroth) they manage to play some pretty heavy Sabbath influenced metal. They've only release 1 album but have a new one coming out this year.

Here is the single from their album "1"; Godless Faith:

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=y7FRUTRhekk&mode=related&search=[/youtube]

Another band worth checking out is Electric Wizard, very, very fucking heavy stoner metal with large amounts of blatant Black Sabbath worship, they manage to make a lot of noise. I couldn't find much on youtube apart from some fairly poor quality live stuff (below) but I seriously recommend grabbing a torrent of "Dopethrone" and "Come My Fanatics" for starters. Dopethrone especially is as weighty as it it gets, you old fuckers will like these guys I'd rekon ;)

Here is a live clip of "Dopethrone" anyway, but it just does not do the album version justice at all:

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=IvbZJPYDvwA[/youtube]

kanonfoda
Clan Member

Postby kanonfoda » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:30 pm

Hey Spud,

Thnx 4 those links. I liked Sahg so I will see what I can find.

As you say, the quality of the other clip is "not very good" so I will do as instructed and get Dopethrone to assess the band properly.

Keep up the good work :)
Did I just say that?

Greatbloke
Clan Member

Postby Greatbloke » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:49 pm

I have heard Buffalo kanon .. I'll go back and have another listen... I can't quite remember what they're like.

I don't mind those clips Spud. Dopethrone in particular. Nice heavy riffing and some singing guitar. A bit like Iron man in places.

kanonfoda
Clan Member

Morbid Angel

Postby kanonfoda » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:12 pm

Hey Spud,

Downloading Sahg and Electric Wizard now. Will let you know how it goes.

I come across the album Heretic by Morbid Angel and thought this was along your lines. Not sure if you have heard of them. Tried to upload an example for you but the file size was too big...

Damn technology...should be banned. If you haven't heard of them, let me know and I will "get it to you".
Did I just say that?

spud
Wiggles

Postby spud » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:21 am

Morbid Angel are a seminal death metal band Kanon, I have their discography on CD. Heretic is considered to be their weakest album. I recommend you check out "Altars of Madness", "Covenant" and "Gateways to Annihilation" for their best material.

Here, check out "God of Emptiness" from their album "Covenant":
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTqA009qwko&mode=related&search=[/youtube]

"Where the Slime Live" from the album Domination:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq4rqNV2388&mode=related&search=[/youtube]

"Maz of Torment" from the album Altars of Madness:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QW0-5tkh8U&mode=related&search=[/youtube]

Greatbloke
Clan Member

Postby Greatbloke » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:54 pm

I've heard bits of Morbid Angel here and there over the years and thought some of it was it was ok, but I particularly liked that "God of Emptiness" there Spud.

Greatbloke
Clan Member

Postby Greatbloke » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:28 pm

On Friday night I was listening to "Heaven and Hell" at the tennis centre.

For those that don't know "Heaven and Hell" is basically Black Sabbath, Current band members Ozzy Osbourne and Bill ward being replaced with ex Black Sabbath members Dio singing and Vinny Appice on drums.

I took this pic, but the video isn't mine, although it's taken from very near where I was sitting.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISeWLAuIPuM[/youtube]
Attachments
PIC_0618.JPG
(338.35 KiB) Downloaded 1753 times

spud
Wiggles

Postby spud » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:09 pm

nice one GB. I had friends who were supposed to be going to the Sydney show, but maybe they missed the bus? Looks like a great gig, I never got into Dio era Sabbath so I didn't go but if Ozzy was fronting I would have gone for sure.

Return to “Rock's Music”