whats ya PC specs u r still playing Quake Live with ?

A cure for all your hardware/software ailments.

Moderators: SCUMBAG, INKoRP, spud, GURU, Clan Leader

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
GURU
Clan Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

whats ya PC specs u r still playing Quake Live with ?

Postby GURU » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:01 pm

Just out of curiousity what are peoples PC specs they are still playing Quake Live on these days ?

it should play sweet on pretty much anything these days even intel onboard graphics i would expect!

is it old [more than 5yrs old] or new [under 5 yrs old] ?

or even better what are the actual specs - cpu mb vid card ram os

im still playing on me old [5+yrs ] intel core i7 2600K o/c @4600mhz asus p8p67 pro gigaabyte GTX 970 SLI G skill 16GB
long live the P U T E Y ! :)

borgasm
Clan Member

Postby borgasm » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:41 pm

I like how you call that old :P

I was running on the same mobo and CPU, with 8gb ram and a Asus 6850 GPU. then I started to get microstutters so figured I'd upgrade my GPU to fix it up and bought a 1070. It still fkn stutters tho. Need to re-install windows I think.

kanonfoda
Clan Member

Postby kanonfoda » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:59 pm

Mine is an old business computer. A dell vestro 220s. It is a core2 due with 3gb of ram and a radeon 200? or something video card. I think this is why I struggle so much....
Did I just say that?

GURU
Clan Member

Postby GURU » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:11 pm

thanks borgam and kanonfoda.

i found out that with Q3A it stutters for single cards these days and probly has for ages but to fix it you have to go into the nvidia control panel and disable\ turn off multi core rendering. now called "threaded optimization" in latest nvidia drivers then it runs smooooth as poooo ! :)

now i dont think i ever had that in quake live but?

hopefully that may help ????

SCUMBAG
Clan Leader

Re: whats ya PC specs u r still playing Quake Live with ?

Postby SCUMBAG » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:26 pm

intel i5, 16 gig ram , gtx680
plays most games ok, chugs like a mofo on the new doom

GURU
Clan Member

Postby GURU » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:31 pm

since i upgraded to gtx 970 in sli, pretty much all games are super smooth again! yeah! but a quite a few dont support SLI !

even with 1 card pretty much everything runs sweet as bro !! 2nd card just gives me "more frames baby!" hehe

witcher 3 works awseome in SLI and also battlefield 1 sweet as bro !
rise of the tomb raider sucked arse in sli in the end although before the first patch you could use nv inspector and make it work awesome . first patch broke it bad! :(

borgasm
Clan Member

Postby borgasm » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:40 pm

Thanks for the idea Guru, but threaded optimisation didnt help. It was on Auto, turned it off and it still happens.

I'll try and get off my arse this weekend and re-install windows. I'll set it going and then go mow the lawns or something.

GURU
Clan Member

Postby GURU » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:20 pm

what happened borgasm? what is not working as it should? maybe i can help?

Reinstalling windows is such a pain, especially if it dont fix ya problem! :(

borgasm
Clan Member

Postby borgasm » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:04 pm

getting micro stutters in QL. all other games are fine. Tried the threaded optimization turn off, tried com_idle_sleep change in QL, did a driver rollback with my old 6850, bought a new 1070, reset my QL config, bought a new modem.

Unfortunately nothing has helped. It makes the game unplayable, interrupts strafe jumping so it kills all movement.

Every 5-10 seconds (more frequent with more action) my game visuals will freeze for 0.1 / 0.2 secs, net graph shows a blip in the green, inputs lock up, and most of the time it jams up my movement and stops me dead. literally unplayable :(

GURU
Clan Member

Postby GURU » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:15 pm

i sent ya a pm borgasm

cheers!

GURU
Clan Member

Postby GURU » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:16 pm

Quake Live stuttering possible help?
Sent: Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:13 pm
Recipient: borgasm

hey borgasm, what windows are you using ? win 7 win 8.1 or 10?

u all ready doneit but alot of the suggestions say to reset ya config!

when i had the problem in Q3A, i got stutter was like every 2 seconds just for and instant. even in the game intro , drove me nuts!

to fix that you have to go into the nvidia control panel and disable\ turn off multi core rendering. now called "threaded optimization" in latest nvidia drivers.

when you do that make sure you click apply at the bottom of the nvidia control panel window !
just recheck it to make sure it has been saved !

NOTE: also every time you upgrade your video card drivers with a complete clean it will be reset! threaded optimisation will be turned back on to auto!

I tried lots of thing to fix it and that is what worked for me!

also in the nvidia control panel there are 3 other things you can change in the settings :-
power management mode - prefer max performance
multi display /mixed gpu acceleration - single display performance mode
maximum pre rendered frames - 1

another thing you can try is using the Display Driver Uninstalling tool! called DDU
you can get it from http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/dis ... nload.html
it can help in some instances . it will let you completely clean all Nvidia or Radeon driver files !

another fix possibility :
https://steamcommunity.com/app/351970/d ... 071891553/
this is about setting your frames at the refresh rate! worth a look!

another thing i have looked into lately sorta mainly cos i use SLI but it seems it can happen with single vid cards too is the frame time variance which can vary a lot and will cause stuttering even in single setups!
as a general rule the faster the frame rate the less the frame time and variance, the smoother it will be!
you can use afterburner to see what it acrtually is! i look at it in witcher 3 SLI and it is generally about 13ms at about 85fps !t dont seem to vary much more than about 5ms from 10-15ms! it feels very smooth to play!
in fact you can use after burner to tell you everything about your video car like, core and memory speeds temps % load vram use frame time ms cpu usuage ram usage and virtual ram usage etc! and alos overclock with it too!

also you can go into windows and change the affinity to single core! i tried this but a MAJOR side effect was that it totally screwed up my cpu overclocking! argghhhhhh could NOT possibly have that !

eg : "If that doesn't work, do as I do and set quakelive.exe to run on only one CPU core in task manager, that fixes all problems for me." quote from a forum same as i said above!

anyway hope you get something useful out of this!

cheers borgasm! 8)

borgasm
Clan Member

Postby borgasm » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:56 am

I gave most of that a try over the weekend. Only thing I didnt do was the monitor frame rate sync thing as it used to work fine with this monitor. I had already tried the DDU thing twice. Once with my old card when I did a driver rollback, and once as I was installing the new 1070.

How do I set it to only run on one core? Thats pretty much the last thing to try before a re-install. Its been a long while since I re-freshed the install tho so its probably worth it on this old rig anyway.

btw, I use win7 64bit ultimate SP1

GURU
Clan Member

Postby GURU » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:22 pm

i would try setting the cpu to run on one core only and see what happens ! do the auto setup, the manual would be too annoying!

to run on 1 cpu core only [or more ] - http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/37272/se ... rformance/

sounds like a refresh of win7 U could be on the cards hey! [i use win 7 Ultimate also!]

cheers

borgasm
Clan Member

Postby borgasm » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:19 pm

Just tried the 1 core trick and still no solution. A re-install it is i guess or else I'll just end up[ chasing my tail all the time.

Return to “Spud n GURU's Tech Topics”