My new 'Super Net' connection

A cure for all your hardware/software ailments.

Moderators: SCUMBAG, INKoRP, spud, GURU, Clan Leader

Saratoga
Clan Leader
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

My new 'Super Net' connection

Postby Saratoga » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:11 pm

Hi guys,

As you may be aware, though I am only 15mins from Tweed Heads, I have been limited to the humble 3g public wireless network.
The tower is 8.5klms away :o ... hence my super shit net when it is peak time or crap weather. Yep, 3rd world Telstra shit.

Well the decision has been made & action taken into hand.
3 property owners have banded together to create our very own private network.
A 3 hop link, at commercial broadcasting speeds. Total distance, 8klms.

It starts at Coolangatta on top of one of the skyscrapers, is directionally beamed to a private home on top of the hills behind us in Currumbin Valley, then to a 2nd directional dish located at a friends place 600mtrs up the road here in Piggabeen Valley, then directed to our dish... where I am hardwired into the router.
Each hop has a bi-directional 100% line of sight.

Although it will be a week or 3 until it is completed, our initial tests have given some stunning results.
A temp/test 'mobile server' was rigged up and connected to the Coolangatta end, temp dish installs in between then to me.
Then came the 1st speed test.... 290mb/s down & 270mb/s up :eek:

Im not the tech head of the place and cant quote specs other than it is a 5ghz network... so here are the components used thus far - (well, im pretty sure I got the correct product links)

3 of these - http://www.ubiquitishop.com.au/195_85_r ... bi.product
Some of these - http://www.ubiquitishop.com.au/275_85_r ... bi.product
1 of these - http://www.ubiquitishop.com.au/295_80_s ... ac.product
A hand full of these - http://www.ubiquitishop.com.au/307_85_r ... tp.product
... and 200mtrs cat6 cable

Very excited to see what the finished connection is like :lol:
In Loving Honour & Memory of =PiT= Baldrick
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º>
Quote="SCUMBAG" Yes Baldy was a fuckin legend and will always live on here !! =etouQ

Saratoga
Clan Leader
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Saratoga » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:56 pm

I think we have lift off -

This result is with 5 users online... ill do one later when the plebs are asleep :P

WoooHoooo
An almost real net connection :D

Quote="SCUMBAG" Yes Baldy was a fuckin legend and will always live on here !! =etouQ

INKoRP

Postby INKoRP » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:31 pm

nice work!

JToombsy
Clan Member

Postby JToombsy » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:39 pm

Almost real? I'm an hour and a half from Brody and avg 35 to 40 ping with a DL of 7 mbps! I'm bloody jealous! :I
I WOULD MUCH RATHER PLAY IN A TEAM OF WINNERS THAN IN A WINNING TEAM !

Saratoga
Clan Leader

Postby Saratoga » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:48 am

SCUMBAG
Clan Leader

Postby SCUMBAG » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:29 am

nice !

borgasm
Clan Member

Postby borgasm » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:08 am

Thats way better than my internets now Toga. I struggle to get 6 down and 0.7 up. At least my ping is decent. Im on Naked ADSL thru internode.

INKoRP

Re: My new 'Super Net' connection

Postby INKoRP » Fri May 15, 2015 7:32 am

Didn't want to make another thread:

To Canberra:

INKoRP

Re: My new 'Super Net' connection

Postby INKoRP » Tue May 19, 2015 1:45 am

Ahhhhhhhhh, that's better :D

Not that magical to Canberra however

GURU
Clan Member

Postby GURU » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:43 pm

Thats AWESOME TOGA ! congrats i hope it has been rocking for the last 5 months! !

well i am not even gonna bother posting a pic with our speed here suffice to say we get about 8Mb/s DL and about 0.8Mb/s UL and ping 45ms.

cheers big EARS
long live the P U T E Y ! :)

borgasm
Clan Member

Postby borgasm » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:46 am

Want to swap Guru? :D

I still have a 2 year wait till NBN rolls out in my suburb. Serves me right for being 10 minutes from the center of Adelaide CBD. #soRural

GURU
Clan Member

Postby GURU » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:39 pm

Hey there borgasm , we are not even on the NBN radar ! no idea when we get it if we ever get it! i find it really hard to believe cos we are in an outer suburb of melb. :|

Well i probly wont take you up on the offer but thanks anyway ! hehe :P

cheers

borgasm
Clan Member

Postby borgasm » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:14 pm

The whole of Aus is mapped out with timelines. Its not easy to find but when you find the big list every suburb in Aus is on it. The entire country is meant to be finished by the end of 2018.

I read the other day that they are ditching the HFC rollout (which I was meant to be on) and are now putting us on FTTdp which is supposed to be my driveway I think. Here's hoping as my copper is fucked.

edit:

Its a year old though so im sure there are changes.

GURU
Clan Member

Postby GURU » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:40 pm

i looked up the link u provided

and we are listed as VIC 3SEA Seaford Frankston North, Seaford 12500 HFC H2-2016

what is HFC ? Hybrid Fibre Co-Axial (HFC) technology . seems to be fibre to the node then co axial cable to the home . which the best i can interpret is its "cable"!
!

i read an article in the game informer magazine from about 18mths ago all about the NBN with a timeline and how things have progressed etc!
it is a great read about 4 pages long! i should try to dig it up and scan it and post it online here !

but it will make you want to punch out gov. pollies cos of all the bullshit that goes on! so god damn frustrating!

thanks borgasm

borgasm
Clan Member

Postby borgasm » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:18 pm

the HFC setup has been deemed unuasable due to damage to the coax. those places have been listed as changing to FTTdp (which means to your driveweay). but if you are listed as H2 2016 then im surprised you havent seen works start yet.

Although the article i saw about the change from HFC to FTTdp was only last week so maybe that has delayed all the HFC rollouts. Hopefully its not too far away for you at least.

Return to “Spud n GURU's Tech Topics”