Cpu speed question

A cure for all your hardware/software ailments.

Moderators: SCUMBAG, INKoRP, spud, GURU, Clan Leader

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Dv8
Clan Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Cpu speed question

Postby Dv8 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:20 pm

Hi all ,

got a new vid card as my 8800gtx s**t itself ,
got a gtx260 , which should be a better card ?

but just a queery , in cpu-z says :

Specifications 6600 @ 2.40 ghz

but under the clocks tab : says :

core speed 1600 mhz ?

does that mean my cpu is underclocked ?

would anybody know ?

cheers

blink
Admin

Postby blink » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:10 pm

Not sure why you started off talking about your graphics card... but read this:
You and your red fabric robe, glasses and peace pipe in your mouth for that damned split second!

GURU
Clan Member

Postby GURU » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:17 am

geez mine does it too ! right you are ther blink ! never really bothered to tlook at it for a long while , but now well time to crank it all up!

it drops the multiplier back to 6 [ x266] = 1600 mhz.

cheers :-)
long live the P U T E Y ! :)

P

Postby P » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:48 pm

GURU
Clan Member

Postby GURU » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:41 pm

Dv8
Clan Member

Postby Dv8 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:25 pm

So in doing the above , would it make my PC any faster or does it come up to the plate when it needs to ?

I mean also is their any risk with changing those settings and is their any real gain ?

Dv8
Clan Member

Postby Dv8 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:35 pm

My mobo is a Gigabyte PS3-35 running bios version F5 , i think F7 is out now .
Is their really any benefit from updatting the bios ?

booGz
Clan Member

Postby booGz » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:05 pm

Sometimes... depends on the chipset and what the bios update includes
I WOULD MUCH RATHER PLAY IN A TEAM OF WINNERS THAN IN A WINNING TEAM !

crooGz
Clan Member

Postby crooGz » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:21 pm

Dv8
Clan Member

Postby Dv8 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:13 pm

GURU
Clan Member

Postby GURU » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:49 pm

from heaps of stuff i have read in the past, increasing your cpu speed [in this case overclocking it to around 3k] appears to help raise the minimum fps in a game. it will of course vary on the game and the settings you have.

fasster cpu spd = basically everything you do on a putey will be faster, if it is cpu orientated will definately run a lot faster with a cpu spd boost. if it is not cpu orientated, it will only be slightly faster. Most games generally are helped but it still depends on the individual game. some games are cpu bound [limited] and others are video card bound [limited] . Benchmarking results are also influenced a lot by cpu and vid cards scores so a boost in either helps too. Non gaming stuff that would benefit would be stuff like - File Converting, File Compression like Raring up a file, Folding with your CPU, Photoshop, CAD. Probly lots more too.
booGz is correct on bios update!

increasing cpu speed causes it to run hotter. increasing cpu core voltage adds to this heat increase, so ideally you want to keep core volltage to a minimum or you will end up needing to get a better cpu cooler. so case ventilation and cpu cooler all help to run cooler.

risk- yes there is a risk but by reading up and knowing what you are doing beforehand minimises this to almost nothing. i have never fried a cpu yet . done lots of overclocking but. i use cpu-z to check my settings cos sometimes i have found that they are not set to what i thought i had set them to and you need to be sure or you could damage stuff and you def dont want to do that!

read what other people have done learn form their experience save your self a loty of time and heart ache and money if you buy the right parts first up.
Pretty much all reviews on new cpus have some sort of overclocking part where they see how well it overclocks. they will tell you what they have done and give findings.
read severaal reviews to get a better overall view .eaxch review will reveal some little differences. it all helps! :)

Overclocking vid cards - well i dont really recommend it , as they are no where near as robust and you dont gain much imrovement for straining the crap out of them like you do a cpu. but if you are after benchmark scores, it helps a little.

Return to “Spud n GURU's Tech Topics”