Help me find a lappy

A cure for all your hardware/software ailments.

Moderators: SCUMBAG, INKoRP, spud, GURU, Clan Leader

..ME..

Help me find a lappy

Postby ..ME.. » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:38 pm

Its about time for an upgrade but i thought that i might as well go for a laptop for the mobility. Im looking to spend about $2500 give or take. Any suggestions?

Im looking at a dell:

Processor
Intel® Centrino® Duo Processor Technology - Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7500 (2.2GHz/ 800 FSB/ 4MB Cache)

Memory
3GB Dual-channel 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Harddrive
2x160GB 5400 RPM SATA HDD

Monitor
17.0" Widescreen WXGA+ (1440x900) TFT Display with TrueLifeâ„¢

Graphic Card
256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT

Optical Device
8X max DVD+/-RW Drive with DVD+R double layer write capability

For an extra $220 i cna upgrade to a 2.4GHz dual core CPU, how much of a performance increase would that work out to be, is it worth it and so on..

Also for an extra $127.60 i can upgrade to 4gig of ram; that would mean it would run in dual core but being a 32bit OS i would only gain 200mb of ram... is that worth it and what would be the performance increases.

Are there any other laptop that would out-perform this one for about the same $$$; was looking at an alienware beast but i dont have deep enough pockets :(

Thanks for your help
Long live the =PiT=

..ME..

Postby ..ME.. » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:39 pm

ram - dual channel not dual core
Long live the =PiT=

Kamikazee
Admin

Postby Kamikazee » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:41 pm

In the last few months Ive organised a few new Dell lappies for friends... so worth it.

I'm not sure if you would notice the diff between 2.2 and 2.4... fuck i wouldnt... but i mean be my guest :P

Did i miss a chapter in technology? whats the go with having 4gb but only gaining 200mg (being a 32bit OS and running as dual core/channel?) ? last time i checked 32bit allowed upto 4gb of memory allocation? But by duel channel, you should notice the difference, and especially if you run some heavy memory applications.
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success

..ME..

Postby ..ME.. » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:08 pm

doesnt 32bit OS's utilize 3.2gig of ram not the full 4 gig
Long live the =PiT=

Kamikazee
Admin

Postby Kamikazee » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:50 pm

AFAIK it can allocate the full 4,294,967,296 bytes.

..ME..

Postby ..ME.. » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:01 pm

hmmm interesting......

[quote=dell website...]
To the customers who has selected 4 GB of RAM on their systems:
Please be advised that although 4 GB will be installed and reflected in the BIOS of your system, 3.2 GB or less will be displayed in the System’s Information.

Why will 3.2 GB or less be shown on my System’s Information?
Due to a limitation of the Windows 32 bit OS and the hardware architecture, only 3.2 GB of RAM can be utilized and reflected on the system’s information. Some applications such as graphic cards share the working memory, so the more such applications you install, the less your available working memory will appear.

If I can only use 3.2 GB, what is the benefit in buying 4 GB?
(for notebook only)
In order for the dual channel to function properly, it is necessary for the memory to be set in pairs. In a notebook, there are only two memory slots which enables a configuration of 1GB(2 X 512MB), 2 GB(2 X 1GB) and 4GB(2 X 2GB). Even though the OS can only utilize 3.2 GB, 4 GB is still necessary in order for the dual channel to function.
On the other hand if you would like to take up the option of 3Gb in a notebook, this will give you a combination of 1x1Gb + 1x2Gb which are not in pairs. Hence this will not support Dual Channel technology.
[/quote]

have to have a look into it...
Long live the =PiT=

Kamikazee
Admin

Postby Kamikazee » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:20 pm

After some quick googling... im pretty sure its an XP prob.

Apparently XP uses the top 1/2 gig (or most of >3gb) for PCI I/O and other system resources. Saying that, yes your probably wasting ram, but on the flip side you have 1gb extra for when you switch to vista (if your inclined that way) and you WILL notice the difference with dual channel.

You can try using the /pae switch on the boot.ini script so apps can use the 'extra' ram... [your call though]

..ME..

Postby ..ME.. » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:38 am

looks like the lappy is on the back burner for a week, got shingles which means i have a week off work which is kind of cool but kind of gay...
Long live the =PiT=

Leone
Clan Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Leone » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:40 am

At least it's only a week. A guy I know got knoocked out for 3 months. Shingles can be really nasty :(

spud
Wiggles

Postby spud » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:49 am

I've also been looking at picking up a lappy of late. My problem is that the massive nerd that hangs out in my brain baulks at the idea of getting a laptop that can't run Crysis, but the rational mostly normal part of brain knows I'll never play Crysis on it. Every time I go looking I end up looking at something I can't really afford and dismissing the models that are most useful but less powerful. I've still got no laptop.

..ME..

Postby ..ME.. » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:46 pm

Long live the =PiT=

GURU
Clan Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby GURU » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:31 pm

well i would just get the full banana and be done with it for an extra $440 . or u could always over clock it! :)
long live the P U T E Y ! :)

..ME..

Postby ..ME.. » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:57 am

this shingles shit sucks the penis... itchy and sore as fuck but lucky for me i should no longer be contagious.... which means working ---> MONEY ----> LAPPY!!!

I found another lappy and i think this one has out done the dell.. its a HP Pavilion and will only cost around $2000

OS
Upgrade to Genuine Windows Vista Ultimate (64-bit)

CPU
Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo Processor T7500 (2.20 GHz, 4 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)

LDC
17.0" WXGA+ High-Definition Ultra HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1440 x 900)

RAM
4GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)

Graphics
512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS!!

Extra Freebee
FREE Upgrade to HP Imprint Finish (Radiance) + Fingerprint Reader + Webcam + Microphone!!

Network
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 4965AGN Network Connection and Bluetooth(TM)

HDD
320GB 5400RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive (160GB x 2)

DVD
50% OFF HD DVD ROM with SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW Double Layer!!

This one comes with a 64bit OS so im happy with that, more available ram if the 3.2GIG thing is correct.

I also get a 512MB vid card :D

I spent the extra $75 for the HD DVD drive, i dont think it burns them but i couldnt pay for the discs anyways :P

It comes with the gay software that i would rather not pay for but ohh well.

Im going to spend the extra 300 for the 3 years insurance

Anyone everr had a HP laptop?
Long live the =PiT=

..ME..

Postby ..ME.. » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:00 pm

OHHH MOTHER FUCKER!!!!! anyone going to the US and wanna pick up a laptop for me :(

why cant pc companies offer the same products in all first world companies...
Long live the =PiT=

Rusty
Clan Member

Postby Rusty » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:26 pm

If its anything like my work HP laptop you'll need all the luck you can get!! ......... i'm not joking either. Over the past 6 months 6 work laptops out of about 20-25 have died. Not fantastic figures. Mine has been going ok as a general rule. However it does lock-up occasionally (once a month or so). I wish I could say they were great but in my/work experience they could be better.

Return to “Spud n GURU's Tech Topics”