what's best

A cure for all your hardware/software ailments.

Moderators: SCUMBAG, INKoRP, spud, GURU, Clan Leader

IN4ME
Clan Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

what's best

Postby IN4ME » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:04 pm

:D Here's to the new year and all the best to ya's.
NOW with all new intel chips and baords and ddr2 going was looking to build another system.
The amd phenom doesn't cut it and was really wondering about just going with 939 platform as it is a proven system. though it has reached the end of it's development and is being fazed out, with all the reviews and teathing problems with the ddr2 and stuff it is still goign to be a few years before the new hardware and sofeware really work well, and is pretty Xi on da dollars. but the 939 stuff is getting harder to find. i got a oppy 165 for 135$ and dfi ultra for 109$ there is some ocz mem around,but carn't find the platium stuff. I like those 939 patforms and sqeezin performace out of the opterons jsut to c how far it will go. THose conroe's looking better with a Dfi Mobo (infinity)775, DO i jsut wait and C or go the 939 for comfortability and price. This oppy i got runs great. just wanted to build another one while i got some free time from work. What to DO? Guru could you plz give me some dirrection of this. :)

GURU
Clan Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby GURU » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:34 pm

well alas i have been missing in action 4 sum time! cos life sux sum times ! :(

2 months ago core 2 duo and core 2 quad were the way to go . nothing much has changed . quad is it! i aint really looked at phenom. r tehy actaully available 4 u and me to buy now?

yup c2Quad + m/b + 4gb ram ddr2 +8800gt = happy days and cheap too ! these will blow ya 939 into the weeds !

should be able ot get these 4 bits for around $1k

they may have anew stepping by now in c2q ? not sure
long live the P U T E Y ! :)

..ME..

Postby ..ME.. » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:14 pm

i know this is a little off topic but what is the perfermance increase when running ur ram in dual channel; looking at a lappy but it only comes with 32bit OS, ill pay the extra $200 to get the 4Gig of ram if its worth it.... links to performace lappys < 2.5k would be awesome as well :D
Long live the =PiT=

IN4ME
Clan Member

Postby IN4ME » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:10 pm

:D The 32bit CPU FSB limitation explained
-------------------------------------------------
On the 32bit platform, the Memory controller was on the motherboard in the northbridge chip.

# The CPU plugged into the board.
# CPU communicated to the Northbride along the FSB. (1 in the diagram)
# Northbridge (with Memory controller inside it) communicates to the memory plugged in the board. (2 in the diagram)
# So the CPU to Northbridge (with memory controller inside it) data rate = limited by the FSB frequency.

Therefore the maximum Memory data rate = determined by the CPU FSB, as the Memory controller can only transfer what it gets from the CPU.

By removing the memory controller from the Northbridge and placing it directly inside the CPU core, The CPU to Memory controller data rate is no longer restricted by the FSB frequency.

So now the Memory controller is running at the same speed as the CPU core which means it can transfer a lot more data.

If you look back at the AMD 32bit platform which was limited to 3200MB/s, you should see why Dual channel mode did not double the memory performance. The Memory controller was limited to a maximum transfer rate of 3200MB/s, the FSB frequency. just copyied that from the DIy street forums there is a lot there if you want to read it that way u can get an understanding of how memory and cpu's have developed to this generation Quad core/ddr3.

http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73135
THIS 32bit O/S ;you are using has limitations, 3gigs is all you will ever use. There are some links posted by Guru which mention the limitations. AS i am now going to have to learn some new stuff and Get a :roll: :roll: Intel chip but am goign with DFI Mobo got that sus'D ....

IN4ME
Clan Member

Postby IN4ME » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:00 pm

HI ppl. : ) jsut built a cheapy for my daughter gigabyte S series motherboard (wow ! what a hassel ) with a athlon 4200. 1 gig of giel 444 12 . ADIo problems couldn't O/C and have it bootable after prime tests for over 6hours stable at 4800 butt when reboot after tests opens windows in safe mod. lots of hassels and reinstalls to get it right!~ stable for my kid to use continuously with out freezing or locking up. moral is ya get what ya pay 4 . been looking at those figures C2quadss compared to 939 there might just be a brack away in performance of substance that is!

Rusty
Clan Member

Postby Rusty » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:44 pm

GURU
Clan Member

Postby GURU » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:14 pm

how did u finish up ther in4me ? did u build up a new intel putey?
long live the P U T E Y ! :)

Rusty
Clan Member

Postby Rusty » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:17 pm

Quick question..... got an E8500 today and noticed that its HFS is half the height of the Q6600 I have. Is this to be expected as the E8500 is only dual core and has a lower thermal design power? Anybody else got one that is in the same boat?

IN4ME
Clan Member

Postby IN4ME » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:00 pm

Hi guru : ) haven't had much time for anything of late as there is so much work going on that i barely get time to shave and shit ! have been keeping a tentative watch on the C2quads and mother boards but after building my daughter a new comp with a gigabyte mother baord, Am2 which i wrote a review at umart but was never excetpted cause probably it wasn't in good favour of these boards S series .. Audio driver issues and O/C @ 0 potential . i would get it to boot up as 4800 no problems run prime for 6 hours, no problem turn off the machine and it would want to open in safe mode. it is now jsut a 4200 and as good as it gets. I was readiing a review not so long ago rusty on the grahics cards and the 7950x2 where the outstanding performers untill the 8800 gtx's come along so i would either go the x3 with the new boards that have come out or coming out or go a couple of 7950 gtx price now at 240 bucks each. that is waht i am thinking of getting ! with either a XFX 680 sli or
DFI 680chipset mobo. As soon as i get some time to read a review and build a new intel C2quad
that's after a F$@$@KING long holiday. heheh

IN4ME
Clan Member

Postby IN4ME » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:59 pm

revise that last part of my post ! the Dfi mobo has the intel x38 chipset. not the Nvidia 680 or 780 chipset

Rusty
Clan Member

Postby Rusty » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:13 am

Hey IN4ME, well I ended up settling on an ASUS striker II formular with an E8500, 4G ram, raid 0 wd raptors and 2x8800GT's and only just loaded vista 64 and got it up and running ...... really happy with it so far. Goes like a cut snake. Haven't done any o/c'ing as yet.

IN4ME
Clan Member

Postby IN4ME » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:02 pm

Hi rusty! :)
Nice rig man! i was wondering about that c2quad that you got 6600 anything wrong with it ? i was going to wait for awhile but he who waits gets left behind :) gunna knock up Q6600 with a XFX mobo and a couple of 8800gts with raptors only for gaming nothing else. but as i have had very little time to do anything but work i haven't made up what i am going to go with the DFI X38 -t2R is only slightly better than the DFI X35-t2r now that is a board i would go with with a duel core maybe even the quad but at the end of the day mobo carn't be skimped on, as i have found out. DFI X48 is oout soon might just wait for Guru to come back and announce he has QX9770 and get 2 with a Skulltrail, but word is that there are new platforms coming out. TIME to Quake. check back in and see waht the master recons : 8)

Rusty
Clan Member

Postby Rusty » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:36 pm

IN4ME
Clan Member

Postby IN4ME » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:13 pm

Dam it :cry: RUSTY what are the last 5 letters of your product number for your q6600 ? there are a few getting over 4 gigs no problem. rather than start another post this is what i was goign to build now ! hope fully Guru or some-other will give me another alternative . Don't like gigabyt boards ! and after lots of lookiing into mobo's and benchies and rteviews, going the
XFX 790 i ultra ddr3 mobo
8500 C2D quad would be fine if i had another grand for a Xtrem
x3 XFX 8800gts or gt 512mg cards depending on costing and availability now that 9600 cards are out. waiting.... waiting
waiting... ddr3@2x2gigs Critical ballistic. :/ 1500.00$ waitingfor the ddr3 to become more available and price's to drop so that i can run cards in x3 and vista and still get have enough memory available so that sytem is stable. other wise XFX mobo 650 chip set for 100 bucks with 4gigs Ocz platium and 6550 c2d and asingle 88800gts xxx card. Am more iinclined to go with the XFX 790i ultra mobo for the 500+MHZ FSB. but the price is going to get up there and i really want a 42 " monitor for the wall so i can sit back and play cysis and other games. that is around 1500$ sweet :) it's a bit like the 939 socket we getting to the end of a proven platform. wonder

Rusty
Clan Member

Postby Rusty » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:56 pm

Picked some nice gear there m8. I was tempted to go for a 790i ultra board but as you said... the cost of the board alone and a few gigs of good ddr3 is VERY expensive.... least the 780i is DDR2. A 42'' monitor is insane m8.

Not sure what you mean by last 5 digits..... there are heaps on the box haha ..... but s-spec is SLACR.... don't know if thats good or bad.

Return to “Spud n GURU's Tech Topics”