what's best

A cure for all your hardware/software ailments.

Moderators: SCUMBAG, INKoRP, spud, GURU, Clan Leader

IN4ME
Clan Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby IN4ME » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:14 pm

THEY can be clocked at 4 gigs .. :P

GURU
Clan Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby GURU » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:34 pm

i have to say that dont loose sight of the whole overclocking idea in that you go by a cheap ass cpu that you know to the best of your research ability that will overclock a stupid amount . ie you buy cheap cpu to overclock it to faster than currently available clock speeds! . u then buy ram and motherbaord to suit this setup. with out wasting to much more money on it either. compromises compromises. heheh

i never really like Gigabyte motherboards but i have had a few lately and they are actually pretty good and overclock very well. not sli but... p965 ds3p , p35- ds3p and , ep35 ds3p . all been very good . ie no stupid problems and overclock well.

when u start talking sli the price rockets up. ddr3 price rockets up, even high end ddr2 is expensive. i have been ther and done that and i cant say i would bother wasting a lot of money on it any more. but still you have to spend at least some cash, and around $ 1k -1.5k is all you really need to build up a good box these days.

eg wolfdale dual core seem to be the shiz biz, running cooler and faster ! overclock to 4ghz +

i guess what i am trying to say is, "speed costs money how fast do u want to go?"

its the classic case of diminishing returns! :)
Last edited by GURU on Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
long live the P U T E Y ! :)

IN4ME
Clan Member

Postby IN4ME » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:25 am

:o guru! yeh that is so true build on the cheap,O/C and get better performance. AFTER waiting so long and reading reviews and stalling for a number of resons, availability and platform iron outs , got to go with the XFX 790i mobo, there reached a level of maturity with the bugs ironed ,out ,that they where having with the 680 and 780 mobos and most of the boards where performing much the same O/c , OK enthusiastically waitiing to try out the XFX stuff, EVA mobo with the 790 chipset is retailing at 670.00 : (
XFX is 509 bucks not much dearer than Asus maximus or other boards of680 and 780 chip sets, going this way 790i mobo
Xeon QC3360 or Xeon 5420 read somewhere about the 5400 series being the better that 5300"S will have a look a bit closer later on in the week but not sure yet
OCZ 2gig pc3 144000
Antec truepower 850w
Antec p182 case and
XFX 8800gt 512 X2 or 9800x2
it's looking somthing like that 's 2500 ... what's a good card. 8800 series works well with mobo any sugestions on the cpu qc3360 is the same as the qx9450 but like i said there was somthing that i read about the 5400 series being better, besdies the Xtra 6m of cach ..

Rusty
Clan Member

Postby Rusty » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:01 am

Well I have some interesting news for those of you who own Nvidia based boards inparticular the 7x0i based ones. I've been having a very odd problem with my Asus 780i board for quite some time and though f**k it i'm going to get to the bottom of this crap.

Well to cut to the chase the 7x0i series is plagued with problems. In particular a CORRUPT VIDEO PLAYBACK problem.

The folowing forums states the same problem I'm having with my board.

http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/in ... 63176.html
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=200420&mpage=9&key=
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=301252&mpage=3

Its quite a strange problem, I can leave the pc running for a week or more with no issues at all. I can play crysis/bioshock/ u t 3 etc for hours and to date never had a problem at all. But as soon as I play a divx/mpeg file back with 10 min or so I'll get a corrupt display on the video file only (pics below). I can resize the video window and so does the corruption get resized.

I've tried all sorts of things from different bios versions, different drivers, different players, different xvid/divx versions, reformat, different ram, different power supply, and running each video card seperatly makes no difference.

After reading the above forums I think I bought a $400+ lemon. :evil:

Unless some one can suggest anything else I'm going to throw the board get some sort of intel chipset based board (x38/48 ???) and 2 top end ATI cards (RADEON HD3870 ???). Just means I'll have 2 8800GT s that I'll have no use for. :|

I do not believe I will be buying a Nvidia based mobo for a VERY long time. :(
Attachments
corrupt_video_1.JPG
:(
(81.36 KiB) Downloaded 996 times
corrupt_video_2.JPG
:(
(73.95 KiB) Downloaded 996 times

Leone
Clan Member

Postby Leone » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:16 pm

Oooo pretty pictures :P

Yeah that sucks balls Rusty. No chance to get yer money back?

IN4ME
Clan Member

Postby IN4ME » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:37 pm

:( IT's not happening !! with all boards with Nvidia chipsets. was reading it last week in 1 off the forums, seems that its effected a few, well! fire'in up this one now. so i am hoping that it's not going to be a issue. I think that the fix is coming !!!!!!!!! with a bois update. Rusty . worst case can put it on E-bay : ) F&&%&K part of the reason i went 790i .. early days .
Attachments
DSCF0092.jpg
(754.63 KiB) Downloaded 980 times
2008_0421CAMERA0018.JPG
(1022.42 KiB) Downloaded 980 times

Rusty
Clan Member

Postby Rusty » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:36 pm

Well I've been doing alot of reading about the video corruption problem and it seems that everyone is aware of the issue but to date ahve not found one solution to it. Not sure if the 790i is affected but the 780i definately is.

While I do agreee not EVERY board is effected, there are ALOT of posts on the net describing the issue.

This is prob the most relevant posts I have seen in a forum.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id= ... uage=en-us

IN4ME
Clan Member

Postby IN4ME » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:13 pm

Ok .... check this out ,has a stack of Info on the problem and possible fix for the 680i, still reading the threads as this looks -> :x http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.h ... VzaWFzdA== hope this helps ya!

GURU
Clan Member

Postby GURU » Fri May 09, 2008 8:12 am

slacr is a good code ther guys. [mine is slacr ] runs sweet. type it into google and look it up. it was a later stepping at the time a while ago. tehr are probly newer versions out now but...
long live the P U T E Y ! :)

IN4ME
Clan Member

Postby IN4ME » Sat May 31, 2008 9:31 pm

:evil: DAM G-skills 2nd lot of ddr3 failure in testing........ took 5 weeks to get another set !!! One thing about it i will finnish mod by the time i get some decent RAM. :( post pic of W/c .....
Attachments
Image92.jpg
(968.51 KiB) Downloaded 914 times

Rusty
Clan Member

Postby Rusty » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:21 am

What do you use to test the ram?

IN4ME
Clan Member

Postby IN4ME » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:36 am

Memtest... :D

Rusty
Clan Member

Postby Rusty » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:01 pm

I thought as much... I got some gskill DDR3 1600 7 7 7 18 and it has failed memtest too :( (and i think that was @ 1333 9 9 9 24 too) ... i'm still using it atm though... But NOT happy.

IN4ME
Clan Member

Postby IN4ME » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:20 pm

:evil: hey Rusty take it back !! get th3 good stuff. 3rd time lucky for me but i had a list of issues, Finally got it all sorted out. :) 74gig raptor was failing just to add to a confounding list of posible problems and resolves, drivers, undervolting,coolingand failure-z . All good now up and running 18hour memtest (np) now i can get this overclocking going... 8)

Rusty
Clan Member

Postby Rusty » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:16 am

That sucks the big ones m8. Hope you can finally let the beast inside that setup loose and get some good overclocking happening. :)

Still herd nothing about the striker 2 i sent away too. :(

Return to “Spud n GURU's Tech Topics”