drive backup clone etc

A cure for all your hardware/software ailments.

Moderators: SCUMBAG, INKoRP, spud, GURU, Clan Leader

GURU
Clan Member

drive backup clone etc

Postby GURU » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:08 pm

what program do u guys recommend for backing up your putey! [to dvd is the idea] for a fast restoration]

i want to back up a few diff pcs in variuos stages . pretty much all will have partitions .

i have done a bit of looking and it seems that acronis and nortons ghost seem to be popular! are these n e good?

what else do u people use that is good ?
long live the P U T E Y ! :)

Rusty
Clan Member

Postby Rusty » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:27 pm

I've used ghost in the past. But acronis is gaining alot of popularity and well worth a look i reckon.

If your going to ghost to dvd I'de strongly suggest once you finished ghosting the drive load up ghost again and perform a check of the image you just created (that will most likely) span across several discs. Just i've had ghost stiff up on occasions when spanning multiple dvds.

..ME..

Postby ..ME.. » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:16 pm

yeh i have used ghost for a while but find its pretty much easier to save everythign onto disc as u go, u can ghost across a network tho, that'll save u discs unless u want a hard copy afterwards
Long live the =PiT=

jof
Clan Member

Postby jof » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:25 pm

I've used Acronis to backup shit and it's very slick and easy to use. I haven't had to restore anything using it though.. touch wood. I always found Ghost to be a pain in my assholes!

..ME..

Postby ..ME.. » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:04 pm

u sure u put the cd's in the right place??? :P
Long live the =PiT=

Leone
Clan Member

Postby Leone » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:32 pm

I tried Acronis once and it failed. Couldn't restore from the image file...so that was useless. I'd rather just buy a new HDD every now and then as well as DVD backups of the really important stuff.

Return to “Spud n GURU's Tech Topics”