memory probs with all 4 dimmies filled?

A cure for all your hardware/software ailments.

Moderators: SCUMBAG, INKoRP, spud, GURU, Clan Leader

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
GURU
Clan Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

memory probs with all 4 dimmies filled?

Postby GURU » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:39 pm

n e of u guys out ther run your putye with all 4 memory slots filled with ram?

if so do u or did u have n e issues getting them to work happily together? what brand and make and model were they?

i been stuffing around with my cousins asus p4p800-deluxe wifi version motherbaord and installed 4 x256 modules into so i could steal the 2 x 512modules out of it 4 myself ! hehe ;)
the ram is corsair cmx256-3200C2 twinX x 2 !

but the fukker wont run properly ! i have changed the main settings! ie upped the ram voltage to 2.8v and i backed of the timings to 3338 from 2336 but it still dont like it! originally it would not work at all but i got it to work ok for a few hours but it gradually got worse and now it is just stuffed! it wont boot windows and i think i corrupted windows files now and totally fucked it on him! he knows about it and wants a new putey after seeing my putey in action! [not my putey ] :P

so n e one else ever have trouble along these lines!

i tried out the 4 x 512mb modules in my daughters AMD 3500+ asus a8n-sli rig! it wouldnt work at all so i changed the command rate manually to 2T and it is sweet! but i had to give him his 2 x 512mb sticks back! :(
long live the P U T E Y ! :)

jof
Clan Member

Postby jof » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:44 am

I'm not trying to take the piss, but did you consult the manual? They usually give you a breakdown of exactly what type of RAM can be used in any given configuration. If he doesn't have the manual, I'm sure you could get it from their site.

GURU
Clan Member

Postby GURU » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:50 pm

good point but .....

asus website would b more up to date.

Rusty
Clan Member

Postby Rusty » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:59 pm

got an asus p4c-800e deluxe .... with 4x512 kingmax ddr and has no problems since day 1

Leone
Clan Member

Postby Leone » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:51 pm

Yeah just shoving RAM into yr mobo isn't a good plan....always read the manual for that job!

BUSTER
Clan Member

Postby BUSTER » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:45 am

I’m running 4x 1 gig of corsair no probs. What instability are you getting, black screen, BSOD :) , Freezzing. Have you tried overclocking your cpu :) ?or did that cause it :lol: . I use this program don’t mind it.

http://www.guru3d.com/index.php?page=rivatuner
OOPS DID I ASK FOR SOMETHING?

GURU
Clan Member

Postby GURU » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:12 pm

actually it was on my cousins putey and it aint overclocked at all!

that must be the prob, all puteys here that are overclocked work perfectly!

blink
Admin

Postby blink » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:02 pm

Have you tried each of the RAM slots independently, guru? Seems pretty unlikely that you would have problems only with particular combinations.
You and your red fabric robe, glasses and peace pipe in your mouth for that damned split second!

BUSTER
Clan Member

Postby BUSTER » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:08 pm

Still need more info, whats the insability?

GURU
Clan Member

Postby GURU » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:15 pm

well basically i wanted to run all 4 x 256mb modules in his motherboard!
2 modules were ok . 1st time i tried 4 modules together and keeping them in their pairs. it wouldnt complete windows boot! and would flash up with BSOD!

n e ways i took them out and carefully reseated them agian and it seemed ok! he said he played on it for about 1.5 hrs and it started to become unstable! and started crashing at first only once in a while and then gradually got worse! to the point where it would not even boot up but just continually restart with BSOD !

i tried swapping them around and made no diff. in the end i swapped his original 2 x 512 mb modules back into it but it was the same! must have corrupted windows ! as i said above i back off the timings and raised the ddr voltage but to no avail.

unfortunately i havent got his putey n e more! he was going to reinstall windows and maybe even go buy a new pc ? [after seeing my new beast in action he said he just had to have one as well!]
i have looked up the asus web site and manual and it says it should be fine! well for 512mb at least! doesnt list the corsair c2 256mb ones at all! [i want his fkn modules still] ! hehe

BUSTER
Clan Member

Postby BUSTER » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:30 pm

Have you tried just running the basics no sound card just vid and cd. What BSOD are you getting (numbers) have you checked you minidump folder after a BSOD to see were the problem is?

GURU
Clan Member

Postby GURU » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:35 pm

well this putey has been running for 6 months and has only stuffed up since i started changing the ram!
i am 1000% sure it is the ram causing hte problem!

no i have not checked th mini dump folder, and i have not stopped xp from restarting if it bsod!
i have also not tried gutting it !

basically the fkn useless c...t wouldnt let me have it!

BUSTER
Clan Member

Postby BUSTER » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:04 am

Well you need to check were I said if you want to get any further. I know these problems can give you the shits, but be patient. Every time your pc does it’s BSOD it dumps a file in the minidump folder you need to check this folder. You might be chasing you tail with ram, iv done it many times. If all else fails you can keep swearing at it.. :|

Maybe try another mobo ram combo.

Return to “Spud n GURU's Tech Topics”