So.... Vista?

A cure for all your hardware/software ailments.

Moderators: SCUMBAG, INKoRP, spud, GURU, Clan Leader

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
jof
Clan Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

So.... Vista?

Postby jof » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:52 pm

I think I'll be puting together a new rig very shortly, likely to be fairly high end. I haven't been following a thing about Vista but is it considered good enough to use as a main OS for gaming and office stuff. I realise XP can just about do everything I want for now, but since I'm gonna have a new box thought'd be easier to just make the switch from the get go. Experiences? Any reasons to stay with XP?

BUSTER
Clan Member

Postby BUSTER » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:12 pm

I havent hade many big issues with vista sinse changing in feb i won't be going back to XP.
OOPS DID I ASK FOR SOMETHING?

disgracian
Clan Member

Postby disgracian » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:06 am

If XP can do everything you need then there's not a single reason to upgrade. That's a rule of thumb that works very well with Microsoft products. The uptake of Vista has been piss-poor despite their best efforts at marketing spin; there's mounting pressure to, among other things, release an XP-version of DX10 (if it hasn't happened already), and then there will be absolutely zero reason to switch from a gaming perspective.
Cheers,

..ME..

Postby ..ME.. » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:13 am

a lot of the original bugs have been ironed out since the release but there are a few annoying ones... i dont personally use vista but a couple of mates from uni do; in game videos have been a big problem, the game would crash as soon as they would initiate . This could have been fixed by now but the only way around it at the time as to delete the video folder... All new operating systems have problems but im not worried about migrating until a service pack is released at the very min...
Long live the =PiT=

jof
Clan Member

Postby jof » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:07 am

Yeah I hear what you're saying Dis and I had a feeling that was probably the case, but my days of reinstalling an OS every six months are over. I've just got too much work stuff that is a major pain in the ass to reinstall and configure, so whatever OS gets installed when I get the new PC is gonna stay on it. If I wasn't building a whole new PC I wouldn't bother but it seems a good a time as any to switch.

Did some reading about the current build of it last night and it doesn't seem too bad. I just need to read up and check how the drivers are for all the components I'll be buying. I think at this stage as long as there are no real horror stories I'll tempt fate and give it a shot. I remember similiar reluctance about XP when it came out but once I switched I never looked back and couldn't for the life of me work out why people were bagging it at the time.

Leone
Clan Member

Postby Leone » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:54 pm

jof
Clan Member

Postby jof » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:30 pm

spud
Wiggles

Postby spud » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:46 pm

I went with XP on my new box simply because I wanted it to work straight away without having to fuck around with drivers and getting games to play nice, not to mention finding apps that did the stuff that worked in XP but now don't work properly in Vista until they get updated and thus need something that does the same thing (but inevitably not as well).
An OEM XP Pro is less than $200 these days, not a big price to pay to get, say, a years use out of before Vista is finally ready to go with support from all the drivers apps you need on board.

Return to “Spud n GURU's Tech Topics”