Another upgrade question ...

A cure for all your hardware/software ailments.

Moderators: SCUMBAG, INKoRP, spud, GURU, Clan Leader

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Dv8
Clan Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Another upgrade question ...

Postby Dv8 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:32 am

..ME..

Postby ..ME.. » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:27 am

Long live the =PiT=

BUSTER
Clan Member

Postby BUSTER » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:18 pm

OOPS DID I ASK FOR SOMETHING?

GURU
Clan Member

Postby GURU » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:19 am

ill keep saying it if u cant get a Core2Duo buy an AMD. but u would be much better off buying a Intel C2Duo straight up. They represent great value now!

Actually now u can buy a Core 2 QUAD ! for around $350 so what will it be?

C2D e6600 2.4ghz = $300 or e6700 2.66ghz = $400 or C2Quad Q6600 2.4ghz =$350 is a no brainer!

*** Intel have also released the new 1333mhz front side bus core2duo cpus - ie E6750 + E6550

they both run the faster 1333mhz fsb , e6750 = 2.66ghz $249 [great value] , E6550 = 2.33ghz $225 , they have been released at a much lower price point for their speeds than the earlier e6700 and e6600. to make u buy them.

of course to run them u will need minimum speed ram of pc5300 and to overclock them u will want to get at least pc6400 and preferably pc 8500 if that is your thing! hehe

well ther are rumbings about micro$oft maybe making DX 10 compatable for XP ! cos Vista is a total flop!
M$ have extended XP out for much longer . who knows they may even make windows live work for xp ?

M$ have also supposedly fixed a lot of SLI + Xfire issues. they might even work proply now under Vista?
long live the P U T E Y ! :)

BUSTER
Clan Member

Postby BUSTER » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:59 pm

I’m running vista with no problems, I think its great for now, :) and it would be best to judge it after you have used it for some time. You won’t get the true dx10 with winxp. Win Vista came under development in 02 with the release of xp and it is here to replace xp. 4000 engineers worked on the development of vista. 50,000 jobs are expected to be created by vista in Europe. 400 million new pc’s expected to be shipped worldwide in the next two years, 368 million loaded with vista. 6 consumer versions available. Not sure if it will be a flop, but with gates expected to make $53 Billion of wealth out of it all I would expect not :)

Leone
Clan Member

Postby Leone » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:54 pm

Doubt it will be a flop, but don't think it's exactly gonna be a huge hit either. They'll make a lot of money, but it's gonna come a lot slower with so many ppl waiting to upgrade.

And other than hardware DX10, I still can't see the point...

GURU
Clan Member

Postby GURU » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:59 am

well depends on your definition of a flop doesnt it! its not selling like M$ had hoped . not even close!

M$ view it as having a slow uptake [flop], but it aint over and eventually it will be a winner cos u will have no choice !

as the uptake is slow, a lot of the larger pc suppliers like dell hp etc have actually started re-offering pcs with XP as well, instead of Vista only!
most people are worried about compatability and this should mostly be ironed out after 12mnths or so and a service pack!

i have to wonder how u go with SLI in all your games there Buster ! and also performance of them ! last time i read about it, it was still hit and miss! some were ok and some just wouldnt work!
only the other day M$ have said they will/have fixed SLI and also Xfire! so it seems it wasnt all NVidia and ATI[AMD] faults for probs they were having!
the also went on to say that NV could not get their virtualization to work at all and M$ have shit canned it all together! i will see if i can find the link!

how does your SLI work there Buster? whats it been like for single card operation and also SLI in most popular games u play? any probs?
what do u like about it? what is bad ?

as Leone said i cant se the point of it either except for DX10. so far withthe current crop of games graphically DX10 seems to offer not a whole lot but it is supposed to make it faster! so i have read!
but even that is a bit hit and miss ! some are a bit faster, some the same and some a bit slower.

maybe as developers get used to it, the graphics and performance will ramp up to where they are supposed to be.
Last edited by GURU on Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

BUSTER
Clan Member

Postby BUSTER » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:13 am

Well you have seen the benchys I posted .I have some more that are a little better but I can’t get any better with xp. Probably steering on to another endless thread here though, leaving Dv8 none the wiser, so I will leave it with my reserved opinions. :)

GURU
Clan Member

Postby GURU » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:45 am

a little read on DX10 /DX9 at Anandtech!

probly in another 12months DX10 will blitz DX9 ! and Vista will be the SHIZBIZ ! :)

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3029

back to new pc for DV8-

ram is cheap, pc6400 for name brand stuff in OZ around $190-$200 OCZ 2gb [ 2x1gb] corsair is similar !
the next speed bump in fsb will supposedly be 1600mhz fsb = 400mhz x4 ,ie pc6400 future proofing

cheapest price for 8800gtx on staticice = $710 thats not too bad!

Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66ghz 1333mhz fsb = $230

motherboard Gigabite P35- DS3P = $210 Asus have some good motheboards too!

comes to around $1350 in total for your 4 main parts ! pretty damn good i say!

PSUs do u need one? ther are so many and how much do u need? geez 550W name brand would be bare minimum !
probly get a good 650W with a little bit in reserve for not a lot more!

what is the minimum spec for your 8800GTX ther Buster, i would think at least 550W?

Dv8
Clan Member

Postby Dv8 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:28 pm

k got this tower comming wednesday

INTEL CONROE E6600
Gigabyte P35-S3 Motherboard
4 gigs DDR2 Memory ( 4096 megabytes ) 667 mhz (corsair)
ATX Case 550 Watt Silent Power
768 megabytes NVidia 8800GTX Video PCI-express
400 gigabytes SATA2 Hard Disk Drive
Internal Card reader - Multiformat
Pioneer 112D Dual Layer DVD Burner

should kick ass ....

GURU
Clan Member

Postby GURU » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:39 pm

sweet! :)

Return to “Spud n GURU's Tech Topics”