upgrade.....GURU'S FAVOURITE

A cure for all your hardware/software ailments.

Moderators: SCUMBAG, INKoRP, spud, GURU, Clan Leader

GURU
Clan Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby GURU » Fri May 04, 2007 11:19 am

i dunno what size psu u tried it with but i would think of the top of my head running dual vid cards and hard drives and dvd drives etc that 550Watts would NOT be enough! maybe get a way with it in a very bare system and SLI ? u could always disconnect a few less important things! just to try it!

a while ago i posted approx max power comsumption figures of individual components -

cpu = 100W varies a bit between diff types. [ core 2 duo supposed to use 65W ]
motherboard = 100w
ram = 10W/GB
vid cards = 50-200W/card high end eat up power. guess =7880gtx x 2 = 200W
dvd drive = 30W
whdd = 30W
pci cards = 10W
fans = 5W

if u add it all up then will find it a lot higher than u would expect . i also found that std settings [std cpu spd] used on pc = will put up with underpowered system a fair bit. ie very tolerable! and also overclocked system not very tolerable at all!

state all your hardware components here in detail for a more accurate assesment! or even do it your self !

i got a 480W antec here and it didnt cut it oveclocked n e more, but ok std speed with the following parts

abit ic7max3 = 100W
p4 3.0ghz = 125W
1gb ocz = 30W
gf6800ultra = 125W
2dvd drives = 60W
3 hdd drives = 90W
sound card = 10W
pci tv card = 10W
case fans x3 = 9W

total = = 559 W

i disconnected a dvd drive and a hdd and removed the tv card and overclocks sweet again.
the TV Card seem to push it over the edge . it would not even boot up ! until i putit back to std cpu speed or disconnected the 3 parts listed above.

this si an approximation but u get the idea! all the bits add up a lot more than what u think!
"this si also a WORST CASE scenario ! " like playing games etc

look it may not even be this but it would most certainly pay to do a thorough check of it at least! :)
Last edited by GURU on Fri May 04, 2007 11:31 am, edited 6 times in total.
long live the P U T E Y ! :)

GURU
Clan Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby GURU » Fri May 04, 2007 11:24 am

here is a guide -

Power Supplies: How Much Power Do You Need?

Component Requirement
AGP Video Card 30W – 50W
PCI Express Video 100W – 225W
Average PCI Card 5W – 10W
DVD/CD 20W – 30W
Hard Drive 15W – 30W
Case/CPU Fans 3W (ea.)
Motherboard (w/o CPU or RAM) 50W – 100W
RAM 15W per 1GB
Pentium III Processor 40W
Pentium 4 Processor 80W – 125W
AMD Athlon Processor 80W – 125W

For overall power supply wattage, add the requirement for each device in your system, then multiply by 1.5. (The multiplier takes into account that today’s systems draw disproportionally on the +12V output. Furthermore, power supplies are more efficient and reliable when loaded to 30% - 70% of maximum capacity.)

have a read of this -- power supplies and SLI ?

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1 ... 958,00.asp

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp?s=2&c=7&t=9354 BEST ONE by a mile !

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

BUSTER
Clan Member

Postby BUSTER » Sat May 05, 2007 1:55 am

Sorry GURU but that is the biggest load of shit i have ever read................
OOPS DID I ASK FOR SOMETHING?

BUSTER
Clan Member

Postby BUSTER » Sat May 05, 2007 9:27 am

Sorry GURU that was a drunken post. I don’t believe its my ps causing blue screens .I have had a couple of hints though, I left the computer running all day by its self and when I got home I loaded q3 and got a blue screen, after restart all my sound card settings had gone back to default so now im sus on the sound card. I do have one of these in stock so I will give it a try just for you :)

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=23650

GURU
Clan Member

Postby GURU » Sun May 06, 2007 1:39 am

ill disregard that first response! hehe :P

sounds like u have got your own putey shop ther Buster ! the sky is the limit it seems 4 u !

well it will certainly be interesting to find the problem ! :)

i would expect that the 650 W antec would piss it in !

BUSTER
Clan Member

Postby BUSTER » Mon May 07, 2007 9:52 am

GURU
Clan Member

Postby GURU » Tue May 08, 2007 4:13 pm

good to hear u got it sorted ! :)

u got a fix 4 it ? if u put it back in !

BUSTER
Clan Member

Postby BUSTER » Tue May 08, 2007 7:20 pm

No haven’t got a fix for it yet GURU. I should no this cos years back I had the same problem with another pc, and it seems Creative haven’t fixed it yet. Some of the creative cards don’t like irq sharing which is fkn stupid, most mb’s come with some if not all pci’s shared and more so with SLI and Xfire here. But ill still keep trying to find a card that will work. The on board sound of the Striker aint that good :)

BUSTER
Clan Member

Postby BUSTER » Mon May 21, 2007 8:58 pm

I got a blue screen last night the first one in a week its fkn weard. Iv got nothing left to change.

SCUMBAG
Clan Leader

Postby SCUMBAG » Tue May 22, 2007 6:16 am

i was getting the same prob,i fucked the sound card off and went to onboard.
havnt had a problem since

GURU
Clan Member

Postby GURU » Tue May 22, 2007 8:49 am

"the on board sound of the Striker aint that good ."

but it beats teh crap out of blue screen of death! hehe ;)

BUSTER
Clan Member

Postby BUSTER » Fri May 25, 2007 9:41 pm

BUSTER
Clan Member

Postby BUSTER » Fri May 25, 2007 9:43 pm

Leone
Clan Member

Postby Leone » Fri May 25, 2007 10:33 pm

BUSTER
Clan Member

Postby BUSTER » Fri May 25, 2007 10:34 pm

Return to “Spud n GURU's Tech Topics”