hey Guru,help me pick the parts for my new supercomputer ;-)

A cure for all your hardware/software ailments.

Moderators: SCUMBAG, INKoRP, spud, GURU, Clan Leader

BUSTER
Clan Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby BUSTER » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:50 pm

oops i meant tut :roll:
OOPS DID I ASK FOR SOMETHING?

GURU
Clan Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby GURU » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:08 pm

u have Lost your way spudly son, i need to cleanse your soul of the past unpure deeds and show u the OC LIGHT ! hahaha hehe :P

u cannot fight it, for it will happen no matter what and u just prolong the inevitable !

for u will not be entering the gates of OC HEAVEN till u repent and be at one with your inner OC SOUL once again! FEEL THE POWER ! hahahah heheh ;)
long live the P U T E Y ! :)

spud
Wiggles

Postby spud » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:06 pm

Right, I've settled on what I am buying. Here it is boys and girls:

Gigabyte Aurora 570 Black Aluminium Case
Silverstone 1000W Power supply
Gigabyte GA-N680SLI-DQ6 nF680i
Intel Core2 Duo E6700 2.66Ghz
Corsair Twin2X 2048MB XMS2-6400, 4-4-4-12
Gainward nVidia 8800GTX 768mb
74Gb Western Digital Raptor
400Gb Western Digital Caviar
Pioneer DVR-212D

Probably going to head out to the markets next week and pickup a 22" LCD as well.

The plan is: future proof. That was the thinking behind the 1000W PSU ans SLI mobo. I'm gonna stick with a single 8800GTX atm and when the next gen of shit comes out (so 9800GTX or whatever they end up calling them) next year I'm going to grab SLI of the top end model. Save myself a little $$$ now and when Vista becomes stable and worth the upgrade, pickup some serious top of the line DX10 cards and cut sick!
The motherboard has a great upgrade path for when the 1333Mhz bus CPUs come out, enough wattage to cover pretty much anything for a few years, a new mobo that can expect continued support for some time as well as the SLI upgrade path.
I'm also counting on a smaller die for the next gen of vid cards to keep the heat down. The heat output of the 8800GTXs ultimately turned me off SLI as did the fact that they will be superceded in fairly short order by the 8900GTX. Once the next gen comes out I'll be in ultimate SLI heaven (at least for a few months until those fuckers are superceded as well...)

So essentially I ended up with something to tide me over (there's really no games out now or coming out soon that I won't be able to max out at 1680x1050 with this rig) until Vista and DX10 become more mainstream and more power is called for.

Thanks for the input everyone, I'm probably going to order tomorrow so hopefully she'll be all ready to go by next weekend :D

BUSTER
Clan Member

Postby BUSTER » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:31 pm

Im glad you decided on the gigabyte case spud. :) 2x vid cards and HD would have been good. Ill tell you win vista is sable ass a rock more so than win xp when it was released was playing stalker on vista the other day ,and even with 2x 7800 gtx I was looking at awesome graphics but had some glitches here and there but I had everything maxed out.
OOPS DID I ASK FOR SOMETHING?

oldmanflesh
Clan Member

Postby oldmanflesh » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:23 am

Return to “Spud n GURU's Tech Topics”