HP Workstation X4000, bit of a challenge?

A cure for all your hardware/software ailments.

Moderators: SCUMBAG, INKoRP, spud, GURU, Clan Leader

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
GURU
Clan Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

HP Workstation X4000, bit of a challenge?

Postby GURU » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:16 am

well my eldest daughters boy friend whom we call "dorky boy" has a HP Workstation X4000 putey made around 2001/2002.
he got it cheap from Holden auctions ! it is old now but it is quite interesting!

ir runs DUAL cpus 2 x Intel XEON 1.70 ghz enough said! hahah :D
ATI FireGL4 vid card 128mb
2gb Rambus memory

he couldnt get it to load windows 2000 {why would u bother] and wants me to have a try ! i said yeah i will have a go at anything pc related!

i havent got iot sorted yet but i am getting there.
they tld me it wouldnt load windows . i said just bring me the hard drive an i will have a go.

after sitting around for about 3 weeks i decided to take a look at it! firstly they gave me the hard drive in an old box and when i looked at it it thought geez this si some weird looking plugs and then i reaklized it is a scuzzi drive! hehe
i told them that and they would have to dump the whole putey off at my house cos i dont have anything theat i can plug it into !

a few weeks later i got teh rest of it ! another 3 weeks later i decided i would have a go at it all cos i have been home for 2 weeks with sore Left ankle and i am really kinda bored now!
i have been stuffing around all morning downloading drivers and reading up on what parts are in it!

well i have to put the hdd back into the case and i find it is very well decked out ! it puts 99% of pc cases to shame with the layout and cooling etc ! it really is built to survive a nuclear strike! hehe
a funny thing i noticed was that the scsi data cable was disconnected from the hdd and ther was an extra IDE cable plugged into the motherbpard as though they were wondering why they could not get the ide cable to plug into the scuzzi drive! funny that ! n e ways i ditched the IDE cable and plugged the scuzzi drive back into its little hidey hole, and now all is happy !

i couldnt get it to load off the cd and after 2 hrs of rooting around i find that it has got a floppy disc in the floppy drive.
i will continue the story later! when i have gotten further! hehe ;)
long live the P U T E Y ! :)

Leone
Clan Member

Postby Leone » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:46 pm

Installing Windows onto a SCSI? Have fun....

Saratoga
Clan Leader

Postby Saratoga » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:05 pm

Last edited by Saratoga on Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Loving Honour & Memory of =PiT= Baldrick
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º>
Quote="SCUMBAG" Yes Baldy was a fuckin legend and will always live on here !! =etouQ

GURU
Clan Member

Postby GURU » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:57 pm

well it is a few hours later and i am almost finished installing XP pro ! woo hoo !
it originally was running win2K pro but i thought i would give XP pro a shot, seeing as nearly all the drivers at HP website are the same for XP and Win2K ! i cannot be defeated ! hahah

the boot order seemed to be the problem. im not 100% sure but i think it was the boot order setup, which is really weird ! i have changed it around to cd rom first and then hdd and disabled the floppy and it seems ok now to install off the cd! pretty much all the ones i have done b4 so long as the cd rom is b4 hdd then it would still work but not in this case . seems u want nothing in front of the cd rom?

im ready to install Service pack 2 now for XP pro!

also found the hdd is a seagate Cheetah 10K 73.4GB !

geez i hope this bucket of poo poo runs ok!

been reading up on the vid card and it is an ATI firegl4 which i have since found out has got nothing to do with aTI at all! hehe ! it actually runs an IBM GT1000 (paired with RC1000 rasterizer) what ever that is?

as for gaming well it is not all that great but i have read that a few people have tried out diff ATI drivers, some with a little success, some with out n e ! :(

i have to say that is soooo fukn slow to load up, cos it does 5 trillion bullshit checks when booting up!
ther is so much more stuff it has got on it that i still have a lot of reading to do!

GURU
Clan Member

Postby GURU » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:33 pm

some pics
Attachments
HP Workstation X4000 1.jpg
(114.16 KiB) Downloaded 727 times
HP Workstation X4000 4.jpg
(98.32 KiB) Downloaded 727 times

GURU
Clan Member

Postby GURU » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:43 pm

some more
Attachments
HP Workstation X4000 2.jpg
(124.28 KiB) Downloaded 724 times
HP Workstation X4000 3.jpg
(92.88 KiB) Downloaded 724 times

BUSTER
Clan Member

Postby BUSTER » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:48 pm

OOPS DID I ASK FOR SOMETHING?

GURU
Clan Member

Postby GURU » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:59 pm

dorkey boy has been bidding on laptop at Holden auctions again and i pulled that apart tonight.

it is a HP Compaq EVO 610c . i downloaded the workshop manual first and it is all such a neat fit!

to access the ram and cpu you have to pull up the keyboard and alos remove a cover next to teh keyboard as they are under their and the ram is just next to the keyboard.

the hdd and cd driver have a couple of littel clips and a screw holding them in and they just pop out !

this is fun !

GURU
Clan Member

Postby GURU » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:03 pm

back to teh hp workstaton x4000!

i finished installing windows but the office xp update went all fkkd up! i reinstalled and uninstalled and then used system restore to take it back a littel bit b4 i installed office xp. :( the original install of office xp i didi the complete install of everythin gon the cds.

now i reinstalled office xp but only did the typical install this time and then the updates again and hopefully it will all be sweet!

..ME..

Postby ..ME.. » Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:13 pm

hit him with a stick for buying a compaq evo; cant buy any standard parts for it; most things have to be HP products
Long live the =PiT=

jof
Clan Member

Re: HP Workstation X4000, bit of a challenge?

Postby jof » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:22 pm

GURU
Clan Member

Postby GURU » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:40 pm

well i know nothing about laptops ! but it only cost him $315 .

what are the most modifiable laptops ?

he also said that the hp workstation only cost $150.

i tried to play games on it and also run 3dmark2001se!

well it wouldnt play Enemy Territory at all just crash whole pc, although Tacops [UT engine] played ok but very slow like about 20fps at 800x600 meduim graphic settings.
3dmark2001se would not run at all, kept coming up with some stupid error on the desktop.

well my eldest daughters boy friend whom we call "dorky boy"

That is high praise indeed coming from you Guru.

he is ok most of the time!! he asks lots of questions but doestn take my GURUness advice although he is coming around! LOL hehe :D

Return to “Spud n GURU's Tech Topics”