vista

A cure for all your hardware/software ailments.

Moderators: SCUMBAG, INKoRP, spud, GURU, Clan Leader

SCUMBAG
Clan Leader
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

vista

Postby SCUMBAG » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:31 pm

any u cnuts tried vista yet?

jof
Clan Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby jof » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:33 pm

I doubt I'll bother till they sort out the kinks. Heard a lot of bad things re performance and I'm in no hurry to try it.

spud
Wiggles

Postby spud » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:15 pm

I'm going to buy a megasuperunrealrockinkickassbeastly computer in the next couple of months, so will probably wack vista on that. See what happens. Otherwise, the answer to your question is no

BUSTER
Clan Member

Postby BUSTER » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:28 pm

iv had it .It seems ok, But its early.
OOPS DID I ASK FOR SOMETHING?

blink
Admin

Postby blink » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:41 pm

Is vista officially out yet? I just saw an ad for it on TV!
You and your red fabric robe, glasses and peace pipe in your mouth for that damned split second!

spud
Wiggles

Postby spud » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:54 pm

It was officially released on Tuesday

Leone
Clan Member

Postby Leone » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:01 pm

I'll wait until the beta stage has finished ;)

SCUMBAG
Clan Leader

Postby SCUMBAG » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:10 pm

plenty on bittorent ! hehehehehehehehehehehehehehe

GURU
Clan Member

Postby GURU » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:55 pm

vista is still having some major dramas on opengl games and proggies ! seems that M$ have really fucked it over with opengl support ! they have said that they have had no chioce blah blah blah but really they have been trying to hard to get rid of opengl for years now!

they basically want the best of both worlds ie to control what we play and keep n e thing that is n e good easy to port from pc to xbox 360! they are not so fussed about porting the other way from xbox 360 to pc! :(
long live the P U T E Y ! :)

Leone
Clan Member

Postby Leone » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:40 pm

Yes and no. Developers and publishers have the main say in what gets ported and what doesn't. Hasn't got much to do with MS, if anything at all. Porting is planned LONG before the games are in full development, so OpenGL vs DX questions are worked out well in advance. Vista doesn't make any difference to porting, or least not for any game dev that has read the news in the last year...

But got any linkies Guru? Particularly 3D stuff. Google just brings up the stuff from last year for me :(

Rusty
Clan Member

Postby Rusty » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:17 am

I'm not going to go vista for quite some time!!

XP is stable.
XP runs smooth as on my pc.
XP works great with ALL my hardware.
XP does everything i need it too.

VISTA needs a fnk beast to run properly (at least core2/X2, 2GB RAM, 10 000 RPM HDD)
VISTA still has driver problems
VISTA is near $650
VISTA has been made so IDIOT friendly its stupidly annoying to navigate the OS for pro users.
VISTA IS BLOATWARE !!!

disgracian
Clan Member

Postby disgracian » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:26 pm

The new themes look shit. I still swear by the old Win2000 'classic' style.
Cheers,

Sammus
Clan Member

Postby Sammus » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:34 pm

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/p ... _cost.html

It looks like DRM is the way of the future and in the case of Micro$oft they went totally overboard, not to mention that by using Vi$ta it can also fuck up perfectly legal shit.

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/juha/2105

..ME..

Postby ..ME.. » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:35 pm

when vista was first released the news said that only 20% of the buyers had computers that could run vista any where near its potentional, im not going to vista for a long time, resources are precious enough as is...

heard the foot print for vista is nearly 5gig as well, waht the hell???!!!!???
Long live the =PiT=

GURU
Clan Member

Postby GURU » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:21 pm

vista is a 15 gb install . u need at least 1 gb of ram and 2 gb to play games . vista eats up 800 - 900 mb of ram to run itself. realistically u need a 2ghz cpu as well.

it has a really good backup program in it . bitlocker data encryption is supposaed to be good and yet business edition dont have it . WTF?
direct x is supposed to be good but opengl is not directly supported as it runs through some kind of emulation type setup. also a cool feature is that it uses system ram as vid card memory i think otr was it hard drive space a page file for your vid card ? vcant remember exactly but john carmack reckons that would be really helpful for games?
long live the P U T E Y ! :)

Return to “Spud n GURU's Tech Topics”