Indispensable applications - Freeware only

A cure for all your hardware/software ailments.

Moderators: SCUMBAG, INKoRP, spud, GURU, Clan Leader

grrrdian

Postby grrrdian » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:58 am

unlocker - unlock files that are locked invisibly, so you can delete em easily etc.
launchy - application launcher. make launching any program on your computer a breeze, and lightning fast.
slickrun - similar to above, but have to set own shortcuts. can do soo much withh this.
keepass - keep pwd's safe, generator pwd's, easily enter em in to websites etc
strokeit - mouse gestures... windows wide! i use this for so much stuff, and it looks REALLY cool too. my friends come over and are amazed with how efficiently and quickly i do a whole variety of tasks... and how sexy i look while doing it. 8D if you only try one program from my recommendations, try this one.
everything - indexes every single file on your computer, for INSTANT searching. i hhave it bound to windows + w, so if i need to find anything (eg a ql demo or a random song, or a document etc), i press windows + w, and type in name. instant searches. runs in background, indexes files on the fly, without slowing down comp at all. really good.
rainmeter - for win7, can add stuff to desktop, eg weather, time, date, etc

hardy

Postby hardy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:00 pm

:/

booGz
Clan Member

Postby booGz » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:29 pm

interesting list grrrdian, gonna have to try some of them out.

of course you just cant beat powershell :p
I WOULD MUCH RATHER PLAY IN A TEAM OF WINNERS THAN IN A WINNING TEAM !

crooGz
Clan Member

Postby crooGz » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:43 pm

Heres what I have thought for a while - whoda thunk that copying and referencing a list that resembles the MFT in RAM would have given the appearance of faster searchiing?

Why oh why 'indexing' and searching the drive takes so long, I have no bloody idea.

*clickety click* 5 TB data - Oh. Now I know why :D

sifz

Re:

Postby sifz » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:20 am

booGz wrote:interesting list grrrdian, gonna have to try some of them out.

of course you just cant beat powershell :p

+1 boogz

hardy

Postby hardy » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:24 pm

http://seconfig.sytes.net/

Decent tool for hardening your system blocking protocols and ports upon a fresh install of windows, think its xp only.

Noobitor
Clan Member

Re:

Postby Noobitor » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:29 pm

hardy616 wrote:http://seconfig.sytes.net/

Decent tool for hardening your system blocking protocols and ports upon a fresh install of windows, think its xp only.

Cool ,just about to do a XP install

I always put spybot S&D and AVG free on new installs or fix up jobs and hav'nt had bad virus probs for years.
Though AVG has bloated a bit lately
Live to Gaunt
Gaunt to Live

jay
Clan Member

Postby jay » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:44 pm

I switched to Avast! antivirus (free like AVG) from AVG free Noob, it seems to be less of a resource hog and has a silent/gaming mode to prevent unwanted updates, scans etc while u play. Might be worth trying if your not liking AVG anymore. :)
Arguing on the internet is like winning the special Olympics. Even if you win you're still a 'tard!

Noobitor
Clan Member

Postby Noobitor » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:09 pm

cool jay will give it a try :)
this a good gaming service stopper too ,used for a while now with no probs and noticable better fps in games

test failed
Last edited by Noobitor on Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Live to Gaunt
Gaunt to Live

spud
Wiggles

Re:

Postby spud » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:54 am

Noobitor wrote:noticable better fps in games

I'd like to see some numbers. "Game tweakers" like this are pretty much universally bullshit. Defrag RAM? Does anyone seriously believe this makes any difference? Point of fact is that "defragging" RAM actually makes the system run slower for a short period, and RAM isn't HDD - it doesn't need defragging anyway. It would also be nice to know what it does to get the CPU optimisations (or whatever). Turning off services? If you really are seeing a performance difference after turning off a few services then you are in desperate need of a system upgrade.

Not picking on you Noob, just saying that these kinds of utilities are (best case) useless and (worst case) damaging to your system.

Noobitor
Clan Member

Postby Noobitor » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:09 pm

No prob Spud ,and yer I'm always a couple of years behind in upgrades :)
Live to Gaunt
Gaunt to Live

Mr_Bombadil
Clan Leader

Postby Mr_Bombadil » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:35 pm

recently had a bugger of a rootkit, just couldn't get rid of it, even after using avast bootup scan etc, anyway i found the below anti rootkit killer from kaspersky and it worked a treat, highly recommended.
it's only for the family Rootkit.Win32.TDSS, but theres quite a few of them in different names.
tdsskiller
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/TDSSKiller.shtml

crooGz
Clan Member

Postby crooGz » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:33 am

Combofix - bloody good for killing most trojans, rootkits, malware, redirectors, etc.

Outersquare

Postby Outersquare » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:55 pm

Does Microsoft Windows qualify as Freeware ? I don't remember ever paying for it and it's definitely indispensable!

JToombsy
Clan Member

Postby JToombsy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:04 am

Windows usuall comes with the cost of your puter. so technically if u have it u did pay for it. =D
I WOULD MUCH RATHER PLAY IN A TEAM OF WINNERS THAN IN A WINNING TEAM !

Return to “Spud n GURU's Tech Topics”