Protect your PC

A cure for all your hardware/software ailments.

Moderators: SCUMBAG, INKoRP, spud, GURU, Clan Leader

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
..ME..

Protect your PC

Postby ..ME.. » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:03 pm

on the old forum this thread was pretty helpful and im reinstalling on friday.

list all the best programs to protect your computer (links as well).

:?:
Long live the =PiT=

blink
Admin

Postby blink » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:47 pm

my router's firewall. that is all ;)
You and your red fabric robe, glasses and peace pipe in your mouth for that damned split second!

Rusty
Clan Member

Postby Rusty » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:34 pm

I just use and . I'm sure you already know to stay well away from Norton Products !!!

Some handy little apps (especially Regseeker, Hover IP and Hover Snap) can be found

GURU
Clan Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby GURU » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:50 pm

maybe Kami could salvage some of theose helpful post threads ? :)
long live the P U T E Y ! :)

..ME..

Postby ..ME.. » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:00 pm

agreed lol; cheers for the links tho :D
Long live the =PiT=

SCUMBAG
Clan Leader

Postby SCUMBAG » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:56 am

nortons is a fkn fivus!

spud
Wiggles

Postby spud » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:42 pm

a fkn fivus? OMFGWTF!!!!

SCUMBAG
Clan Leader

Postby SCUMBAG » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:51 pm

lol cant fkn spell!

Leone
Clan Member

Postby Leone » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:51 pm

Been looking at some of the free firewalls out there (from that great 46 best utilites site GB posted). Tried the Jetico one, but fkd if I know how to set it up. Had to reboot my PC because it wouldn't let the process "System" run...yr machine don't exactly work without that. The four he mentions seem to be either tricky to use or bug you constantly. I used to use the ol' Zone Alarm, but he gives gives that a thrashing. Any thoughts on a good free firewall ppl?

Kamikazee
Admin

Postby Kamikazee » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:21 pm

The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success

Greatbloke
Clan Member

Postby Greatbloke » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:32 am

Leone, I tried the Kerio one that he recommends. I found it easy to use but I ran in to problems also.

I've been using The next one on the list, Comodo, That's worked well for me for the last few months.

Greatbloke
Clan Member

Postby Greatbloke » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:41 am

Two Other interesting ones that I use are:

PeerGuardian and PeerGuardian 2 are free and open source programs developed by Phoenix Labs. They are capable of blocking incoming and outgoing connections based on IP blocklists. Their purpose is to block several organizations, including the RIAA and MPAA while using filesharing networks such as FastTrack and BitTorrent. The system is also capable of blocking advertising, spyware, government and educational ranges, depending upon user preferences.

http://phoenixlabs.org/pg2/

Spywareblaster

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

spud
Wiggles

Postby spud » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:01 am

peerguardian works fine as an IP blocklist, but if you are using it to avoid your IP being taken down in a BT swarm to to block RIAA or whatever from listing your IP while you download movies you are deluding yourself.

Leone
Clan Member

Postby Leone » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:21 pm

Cheers. Will check out the Comodo one :)

Greatbloke
Clan Member

Postby Greatbloke » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:39 pm

Yes true Spud. If they want it they'll get it.

Return to “Spud n GURU's Tech Topics”