GURU's putey travels

A cure for all your hardware/software ailments.

Moderators: SCUMBAG, INKoRP, spud, GURU, Clan Leader

GURU
Clan Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

GURU's putey travels

Postby GURU » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:21 pm

today i had a chance at redemption !

u see a bout a month or so ago i lashed out and bought a tv card and another hdd -320 GB seagate!

n e eways i got around to installing them and with alot of drama for thetv card and after about a week i was copying toip gear off sbs and the god dman mofo forze right before my eyes . well i booted it back up and it was not happy jan at all! :(

so i rebooted again and it chucked a banana and told me some bullshit checksum cpu error blah blah blah etc etc ! i really crache it by now thought fk u ! i eneded up resettin it backt o default speed cpou and it was all noce and rosy once agin but fk i just lost 600 mhz over overclocking madness . well i was really pissed so i went to work thaty night and had a good think about my troubles which was kindea odd consiering it has been in the putey for w baout a week now and it all seemed sweet!

but alas i reckon i figures out wot he problem was ! NOT ENOUGH jiuse or so i thought ! :)

well i left it as it was for about a month but i could feel the needs to overlcok it back up and las tnight i got thinking about it ! well actualluy i thought i woul clean all the bloody dust and fluff and shit out of it all [the fans etc] seeing as summer is apporaching really fast!

well i got the urge and couldnt hekp mysiefl when ishouldf habe beeen going to bed i disconected all the unneccesary parts int eh case ! i got rid of the tv card and also the 2nd dvd reader and also the new hard drive ! ~! well i cracnked thaty baby back utp ot 3.5 GHZ and fdoif a hfeew prime 95 test and it seem d good or the 1.5 hrs i let oit run ! no errors ti was sweeet !

3.5 ghz seemee ok so i put it back upto 3.6 ghz !

as i type this out i have just unlocked 3d mark2006 pro and are running it simultaneously with prime 95 to see if it can hack it! i have set it on a 3 loop run while prime 95 is in continuos loop!

ill check it when i get up for work tonight! hehe i am

i am running a reasonable power supply antec 480W and yet it couldnt cut it at -
p4 30 @ 3.6ghz ,Abit IT7 Max3, 1gb ocz ram , GF6800Ultra , sb audugy 2zs sound card, 4 hdd's seagate 200gb , 320gb seagate 2x 80gb seagate in raid 0 , 1 dvd liteon buner and liteon dvd reader antec p160 case! 2 x 120 mm fans 1 x 90 mm thermalktake cpu adj fan !

i worked out all the power from online stuff and found at worst case scenario i was about 100Watts over the psu 's limit! ! so i propose a qyucik check here for u guys to make sure u are sweet psu wise in oyur putye ! :)

vid cards seemes to be the things that are the most variable depending what u have in your box !
i chencked online a lot and the are also varieances that oepoelple have quiotesd for what they use as in viod cards ie some say gf 6800 ultra uses 125w and some say only 75w ?

std figures for your putey power wise - not prefect but these are a good guide !

Power Supplies: How Much Power Do You Need?

Component Requirement
AGP Video Card 30W – 50W
PCI Express Video 100W – 150W
Average PCI Card 5W – 10W
DVD/CD 20W – 30W
Hard Drive 15W – 30W
Case/CPU Fans 3W (ea.)
Motherboard (w/o CPU or RAM) 50W – 100W
RAM 15W per 1GB
Pentium III Processor 40W
Pentium 4 Processor 80W – 120W
AMD Athlon Processor 80W – 120W

For overall power supply wattage, add the requirement for each device in your system, then multiply by 1.5. (The multiplier takes into account that today’s systems draw disproportionally on the +12V output. Furthermore, power supplies are more efficient and reliable when loaded to 30% - 70% of maximum capacity.)
dunno about this 70 % but ? maybe 80 -85% i think? well iwas about 125% :(

so if u have n e random crashes or just stupid things that go wrong for no good reason then maybe a quuick check of this nature may or maynot help! i found when it was overloaded with it at stock speed, it still crashed sometimes playing FEAR ! but it wouldnt even overclock at all !

soz abotthe latin in hter . i will edot it in english tommororw but i got to get sum sleeop! ;)
long live the P U T E Y ! :)

Rusty
Clan Member

Postby Rusty » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:21 pm

GURU
Clan Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby GURU » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:07 am

BUSTER
Clan Member

Postby BUSTER » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:33 am

OOPS DID I ASK FOR SOMETHING?

GURU
Clan Member

Postby GURU » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:48 am

..ME..

Postby ..ME.. » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:27 am

Guru: grab a multimeter and jam the needles into the wall socket :P itll work but im not guaranteeing ur safety :P

i have had the same problem; had some internal tv card bullshit and when i plugged it in my pc lagged and froze and crashed every now and then; got feed up with it so i returned it; just got a replacement the other day (the game bridge i havnt got an aerial atm so i dont know what the reception is like...

when i swapped my cd drive for a dvd burner i came into problems with the PSU as well; i have a compaq slimline something or other with one of those baby psu's; plugged in the dvd burner; as well as 2HDD's and a fast fan for the cooling tunnel and tried to turn the pc on..... nothing the green power LED pulsed red... OMG i broke it.....

ended up using the original PSU to power the motherboard and an old PSU connected to some fried motherboard to power everythign else; problem sorted but i have power cables running from one box another :P as soon as i get my tax back i will buy a new case with PSU.

looking at something like this
i need to know will this case and PSU accommodate my P4 with 2HDD's and a DVD burner; havnt changed cases before is all... cheers
Long live the =PiT=

..ME..

Postby ..ME.. » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:35 am

and yeh u can get 1000W PSU's... way to expensive tho...

Long live the =PiT=

Rusty
Clan Member

Postby Rusty » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:46 pm

Hey ..ME.. you might find this handy

http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/index.php ... .php?input[product_code]=CB-RC-ATXPS&input[category_id]=1381

..ME..

Postby ..ME.. » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:04 pm

Long live the =PiT=

GURU
Clan Member

Postby GURU » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:54 pm

Rusty
Clan Member

Postby Rusty » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:16 pm

..ME..

Postby ..ME.. » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:42 pm

Long live the =PiT=

GURU
Clan Member

Postby GURU » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:36 pm

"Also it is very easy to manually turn on an atx powersupply with just a peice of wire you know. or you could just make your own adapter with 2 wires if you are a bit short on cash."

how do u do this ther Rusty ? bridge 2 signal wires together suppose! which ones ar they ?

..ME..

Postby ..ME.. » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:52 pm

on the PSU i am currently using u just have to ground the blue wire for a second; i dont know if its the same tho :P
Long live the =PiT=

Rusty
Clan Member

Postby Rusty » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:48 pm

Go For which pins to use :)

Though that link says you can use any COM... I've only used what I set up in the pic with no problems.
Attachments
atxpins.jpg
atxpins
atxpins.jpg (66.53 KiB) Viewed 4377 times

Return to “Spud n GURU's Tech Topics”