Windows Update Fk Up

A cure for all your hardware/software ailments.

Moderators: SCUMBAG, INKoRP, spud, GURU, Clan Leader

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Dv8
Clan Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Windows Update Fk Up

Postby Dv8 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:22 pm

Hey all ,

Weird problem ive never had , did an update on my vista computer (Burnt copy-havent ever had probs b4)

Computer kept hanging on , and msg was

" Configuring updates stage 3 of 3 0% do not turn off computer "

as it restarted several times and kept giving me the same msg with no progress , i figured a fuckup .
But i cannot restart in safe mode even (to do a system restore) as it continues with the same above msg even
after pulling the ethernet cable out ?

Any idea's to help me ? :?

booGz
Clan Member

Postby booGz » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:32 pm

check this out:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/For ... 90e4bc5bca

and this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358

and this:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 2296f2037c

looks like you need to go into safe mode and do a system restore...
I WOULD MUCH RATHER PLAY IN A TEAM OF WINNERS THAN IN A WINNING TEAM !

ske7chy

Re: Windows Update Fk Up

Postby ske7chy » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:49 pm

Dv8
Clan Member

Postby Dv8 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:56 pm

Boogz thankyou for your help mate , to the point . Am atm downloading vista recovery disc to hopefully fix the problem .
You,ve replied to a few of my posts , i appreciate you taking the time . Thankyou .

booGz
Clan Member

Postby booGz » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:16 pm

all good dude... hopefully it helps...

Dv8
Clan Member

Postby Dv8 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:34 pm

worked ty boogz ....

kplxz

Postby kplxz » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:05 pm

gw boogz :)

Dv8...def reinstall with Win7 asap...vista will become more sick over time...it's well known for problems...

hardy

Postby hardy » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:18 am

sorry you have to use vista man :( lol, get win 7 if you have a chance :)

booGz
Clan Member

Postby booGz » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:51 pm

i have to agree, dump vista if you can dude.. windows 7 is much more stable

crooGz
Clan Member

Postby crooGz » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:38 pm

MSDART might have been able to help you. I'm guessing not though - typically, when Vista (and up) upgrade a major SP version (i'm guessing you were installing sp2) it kills the restore points.

Dv8
Clan Member

Postby Dv8 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:36 pm

fixed it with the info boogz gave and dl a repair disc of the net , i have windows 7 lying around somewere ,
just got other things to do atm rather than a reformat , but i,ll get around to it .....

crooGz
Clan Member

Postby crooGz » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:01 pm

What, no inplace upgrade? theres a chart around on microsofts site that details which versions need a format , and those that can be inplace...

Actually, a custom install wont do a format anyway. (unless you reaaaally want it to) Instead, it'll create a folder called windows.000? - it'll also contain your user profiles, the windows directory - including system32\config - which contains the old registry if you wanted to hack parts of it back in and there will be a copy your program files folder. If you have a 64bit version of vista, it'll also contain program files (x86).

kplxz

Postby kplxz » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:21 pm

it will keep the registry amogst other things (some drivers etc) from the previous install though - best to format

Return to “Spud n GURU's Tech Topics”