Mouse registry: gaining complete control of your mouse

A cure for all your hardware/software ailments.

Moderators: SCUMBAG, INKoRP, spud, GURU, Clan Leader

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
enemesis
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Mouse registry: gaining complete control of your mouse

Postby enemesis » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:01 am

Hey dudes and dudettes I wrote this article for chc and thought it might be of interest. I hope you enjoy :)

Today I would like to present a guide to some settings in registry that have personally been beneficial to my game play and mouse movement and could be beneficial to your own quality of play. I have posted a similar thread on the cold hard cash facebook page and some theories as to the mouses behaviour but they are unproven so I will only talk of the effects and how to set ur registry to hopefully get more from your movement on quake.

this all started as my mouse settings were really screwed and I could not figure out why. I would play at my uncles place and I would accomplish scores that I was very happy with. then at home some really bad ones.

the trouble shooting methods I went through were : the razer deathadder driver settings, quakelive command settings, the windows mouse settings, raw input and combinations of allto mirror performances that the other mouse was getting. It was a razer copperhead and the system specs were very similar if not less to my own computer. the last place I looked was the registry and here inlied the problem.

The settings in mouse registry were awful to play with, so I did a bit of research and found some articles on best known settings then not happy with those ones as well, although there was an improvement in performance, I started to tinker around to achieve both a greater result with registry settings. I thought if I could choose reg setting why go for something close to default when I could go for the best settings I could produce. The mouse had a huge amount of movement that made gameplay very innaccurate heavy and slow.

if you use raw input this may not apply and if that is ur preferred mouse in put then this guide may not apply to you. I have only tinkerred with the registry to change the effects I wanted toward a desired outcome.

The first thing to do is to take off enhanced pointer precision in your general mouse settings this is in essence accel itself, however accel is still inherent in gaming in some shape or form in the mouse registry.

To do this click start at the bottom left of the screen, click control panel, click mouse, click on pointer options and untick the box that says enhance pointer precision. and exit. now we will try a registry edit but firstly we must save the current registry so that we can return at any time.

To begin I will show you how to save and have access to your current settings in the mouse registry so that you can return to them at anytime.

first we will go to the start button at the bottom left of your screen and click
then go to the search dialogue box click on that and type regedit and an icon will appear. click on that and follow the prompts, there is a warning message click to bypass straight to the registry editor.
goto Your mouse settings at HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Controlpanel/Mouse

click on file and goto export file,a save name is required so you can type in here anything you like I have named mine "mousedefault"

Double clicking on this will return you at any time to those settings.

now with safety measures in place to return at anytime we can start a Mouse registry edit.

There are four main settings for mouse movement in the registry

MouseSensitivity
MousSpeed
MouseThreshold 1 and
Mouse Threshold 2

We will not touch any other settings however you can research them on the net if you like.

there is not really a default setting as registry always changes within the functions within the applications that you use within your computer however. factory settings are

MouseSpeed can be set to 0,1 or 2 altho it can go much higher
Mousethreshold 1 is 6 and MouseThreshold 2 is 10

my set up at the time was

MouseSensitivity 20 and the rest were set to 0

a good base I have found to work from is:

MouseSensivity 9
MouseSpeed 1
MouseThreshold1 1
MouseThreshold2 0

From here you can do a trial by error configuration until it feels right in quake by using the mouse registry, your mouse driver and the ingame speed settings. I do not use console settings for setting my mouse in game but that is a personal choice, as all settings are to any player.

for me the effect of the change in registry in game has a wider sweeping motion, it produced faster and further strafe jumping, more controllable rocket jumping, increased accuracy with lg, rail, rockets and shotgun, because there seems to be a wider spread of pixelisation long shots into doorways and harder angles were easier to manage with any weapon.

once you are happy you can save it.

saving a prefferred mouse reg file:

goto file and then click on export save your file in your preferred location with the file name that you like.

You can have a folder with mouse reg files that you can double click on and activate for any game on your PC. Configurations you have liked are always available through save mouse reg files and not lost due to changes in settings through drivers.

I hope this helps anyone who is not happy with their current mouse settings and wish to try something new to achieve the results they would like. I have posted a similar article in the chc facebook forum that has already had positive feedback about the changes they have made in their own mouse registry. I am confident that if you are not happy with the current options available to you then this is something that you could try to further your performance in the game that we all know and love :)

enem.

New* Registry and driver use: with setting the registry and then the mouse speed using the professional and including the windows mouse driver, the registry will default or change based on those settings. The best way to overcome this is to find the general speed you like with your mouse drivers and then reset the registry to ur preferred mouse reg. file. the mouse will keep its speed but also mirror the dimensions you have input into the registry. The registry does not change when using in game mouse settings.
Last edited by enemesis on Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:58 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Saratoga
Clan Leader

Postby Saratoga » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:37 pm

Hmm might have to get me one of those mice thingies :P

Good writeup, cheers enem.
In Loving Honour & Memory of =PiT= Baldrick
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º>
Quote="SCUMBAG" Yes Baldy was a fuckin legend and will always live on here !! =etouQ

Noobitor
Clan Member

Postby Noobitor » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:34 pm

Cool Guide
Getting Mouse working to its optimum really is the ultimate tweak for all games and gamers.
Will try this
cheers
Live to Gaunt
Gaunt to Live

enemesis

Postby enemesis » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:00 am

hey peeps after a bit of research and a little bit of mucking about I have changed the base numbers for configuration in the above article. they might prove more reliable for you :)

Dv8
Clan Member

Postby Dv8 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:16 pm

mines fine with ql settings , if it aint broke dont fix it , or save your config first of course , right through Q3 Early days till now ,
i always turn off mouse accel and set my sense so that when i "flick" my mouse to do a 180 trun it does it accurately .

Return to “Spud n GURU's Tech Topics”