warping in the instacomp

All discussions about AiM Tournaments in here please!

Moderators: SCUMBAG, INKoRP, Gubben, Clan Leader

kidToni78

Re: warping in the instacomp

Postby kidToni78 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:56 pm

kplxz wrote:
frodo wrote:Wtf are" the old hack forums"?????

rotfl the imagination can take a little canter on that can't it...

how long you been a member of these forums supps? :P

not a member.

kplxz

Postby kplxz » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:58 pm

Gubben wrote:This may well be the last comp. If peeps dont give a shit, nor do i anymore.

:(

I'm happy to contribute what time I can to it if that helps.

That said, the QL community is so small I can see why this is all such a prob :|

kplxz

Postby kplxz » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:58 pm

Mr_Bombadil wrote:but surely our secret pit hax is allowed?

:nono:

iD will have a decision on this soon bomba...they just waiting for me to send a few more demos first...

kplxz

Postby kplxz » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:03 pm

hardy616 wrote:
frodo wrote:I used to like mellow yellow....... Can you still get it?

Is that booze ?

Yeah it takes nothing to upload a screenshot, its not much to ask of anyone playing in the tourny..

I don't see what the biggie is of recording a demo for each game, then if called upon uploading it. The setting is even in the GUI...if there is another comp (the ladder I thought would be it but it's so quiet there... :( ) maybe put it on the poster somewhere and as a header in the locked/sticky threads for it?

sigh Gubs the admin part of this isn't workin out...we could develop a new system? send me a pm/grab me in game to org a chat place - if you want to chat more about it :)

kplxz

Postby kplxz » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:04 pm

kidToni78 wrote:
kplxz wrote:
frodo wrote:Wtf are" the old hack forums"?????

rotfl the imagination can take a little canter on that can't it...

how long you been a member of these forums supps? :P

not a member.

lies

kidToni78

Postby kidToni78 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:48 pm

lawl sending in demos is completely unneccessary, just make sure they are all recorded. sure people aren't sending in demos, but nobody has made any accusations of hacking so why does it matter?

fauX

Postby fauX » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:09 pm

kidToni78 wrote:lawl sending in demos is completely unneccessary, just make sure they are all recorded. sure people aren't sending in demos, but nobody has made any accusations of hacking so why does it matter?

I agree with this. But that said, the rules of the comp were the rules of the comp and people who signed up did so accepting those rules. For us, we sent demos every single game except our last and, let's also be honest, it took like 60 seconds to email those demo's to Gubben. So if people complain about taking 60 seconds to email a demo, then I say those people should stfu.

bucknorris

Postby bucknorris » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:49 pm

Warping definitely should prevent you from playing in a insta comp match. Didn't get to play this tourney, but it definitely occurred and influenced results in the first 2 aims.

I think people didn't raise it as much because we appreciated how much effort was required just to run the comps mate, and didn't want to chuck you in the middle of a dispute about warping. Particularly since most of the insta regulars were mainly playing for fun not prizes. That attitude is somewhat different to our 4sg overlords, so that's likely why there's more mention of it in this tourney. (no offence to the 4sg guys)

The only way to police it will be to have you nominate refs for the tourney, and have them in comp matches to rule on this, otherwise a rule that outlaws warping could easily be abused. I'm sure some people won't mind taking on that role if you need help with it.

While we're on the topic, there should be a ping cutoff too imho :)

kidToni78

Postby kidToni78 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:26 pm

bucknorris wrote:Warping definitely should prevent you from playing in a insta comp match. Didn't get to play this tourney, but it definitely occurred and influenced results in the first 2 aims.

I think people didn't raise it as much because we appreciated how much effort was required just to run the comps mate, and didn't want to chuck you in the middle of a dispute about warping. Particularly since most of the insta regulars were mainly playing for fun not prizes. That attitude is somewhat different to our 4sg overlords, so that's likely why there's more mention of it in this tourney. (no offence to the 4sg guys)

The only way to police it will be to have you nominate refs for the tourney, and have them in comp matches to rule on this, otherwise a rule that outlaws warping could easily be abused. I'm sure some people won't mind taking on that role if you need help with it.

While we're on the topic, there should be a ping cutoff too imho :)

having a ping cuttoff makes no sense?

frodo
Clan Member

Postby frodo » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:27 pm

Ban high or low???

Saratoga
Clan Leader

Postby Saratoga » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:36 pm

Yeah... ban all uz sub 100fkrs :naughty: :roll:
In Loving Honour & Memory of =PiT= Baldrick
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º>
Quote="SCUMBAG" Yes Baldy was a fuckin legend and will always live on here !! =etouQ

bucknorris

Postby bucknorris » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:29 pm

I originally meant ban high, but what I had in mind was those situations where you have a match on sydney, with 9/10 players easties and 1 perth player. That perth player causes a problem for the other team, because the pnig difference impacts how hard it is to hit them (in my experience anyway). Like last night I played a pub game, and one teams was easties, the other perth folks, and I had tons of rails going through people the whole time.

I guess more consideration of match location would balance out that equation though, but it would mean if a team had a perth player, then the whole match would have to be played on adelaide to make it fair for everyone. Anyway maybe there's no soultion, but certainly playing a person with 70+ ping when you're on about 30 or less is a problem. I wouldn't play insta at such a high ping but that's just me.

iddqd

Postby iddqd » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:35 pm

bucknorris wrote:I originally meant ban high, but what I had in mind was those situations where you have a match on sydney, with 9/10 players easties and 1 perth player. That perth player causes a problem for the other team, because the pnig difference impacts how hard it is to hit them (in my experience anyway). Like last night I played a pub game, and one teams was easties, the other perth folks, and I had tons of rails going through people the whole time.

I guess more consideration of match location would balance out that equation though, but it would mean if a team had a perth player, then the whole match would have to be played on adelaide to make it fair for everyone. Anyway maybe there's no soultion, but certainly playing a person with 70+ ping when you're on about 30 or less is a problem. I wouldn't play insta at such a high ping but that's just me.

Or. Next AiM could be a state of origin type thing. Home team play on their home servers as round robin instead of knockout.

8)

kidToni78

Postby kidToni78 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:15 pm

bucknorris wrote:I originally meant ban high, but what I had in mind was those situations where you have a match on sydney, with 9/10 players easties and 1 perth player. That perth player causes a problem for the other team, because the pnig difference impacts how hard it is to hit them (in my experience anyway). Like last night I played a pub game, and one teams was easties, the other perth folks, and I had tons of rails going through people the whole time.

thats not true at all. first of all, their hitability makes no difference unless they are actually SPIKING. it's easy to hit someone on 350 ping if their jitter is only like 1msec (i.e. if they have a stable connection). if you had rails going through people, you were either probably on an adelaide server, or you had timenudge on? or they were WARPING. high ping is NOT warping. also, if there is one westie on a team, the match would still be played in sydney. it's based on the server with the smallest difference in the teams average pings which is shown in a set of brackets at the top of each teams scoreboard. so e.g. if we had aeol playing (who pings 65 to syd) it wouldn't make a difference because our average ping would be ~30 on sydney (assuming the rest of us are easties). but if we had aeol, kilotr, and rawrberry playing, the ping average could go up to ~58 on sydney. in which case a team with average ping 58 cannot be expected to play a team with average ping of <30. therefore if you go to adelaide, nearly everyone has around 40-45 ping.

fauX

Postby fauX » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:53 pm

This thread is about warping. In at least two cases players who were complained about for warping were playing on an Adelaide server, and that was after their ping improved over what it was in Sydney. So since this thread isn't about team average ping but is about warping, it seems server location is quite irrelevant to addressing the warping problem.

Return to “AiM Instagib Tournament”