RSI

Talk about anything you wish

Moderators: SCUMBAG, INKoRP, Clan Leader

Gubben
Clan Member

RSI

Postby Gubben » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:06 pm

hi folks, i've been unable to play quake over the past week (and for the next week or so), i have a painful case of RSI on my left wrist and middle fingers, mainly from playing ctf as that is mostly non stop intense (in CA i'm in limbo quickly enough so i get to rest between rounds), just wondering if anyone else gets this, the pain is at the wrist, when pivoting over the keyboard and the fingers from mashing down on wasd etc...

a neck injury hasnt helped as that has been sending radiating pain and pins and needles into the palm and fingers lately so its been a painful couple weeks without much sleep as the pain seems to well up at night when horizontal...

Anyway, if anyone has experienced the same and has some remedy i would be most obliged :D

hardy
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: RSI

Postby hardy » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:23 am

Sorry to hear your going through that gubs. RSI sucks, ive never really had RSI before however i have had pains and discomfort in my hands and wrists from play quake for days on end and abstaining from computer use for a while overnight or over a few days seems to fix me up

You might want to read these:

Hope this helps. :)

JToombsy
Clan Member

Postby JToombsy » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:19 am

might find it useful to get a mousepad with a gel cusion to rest your wrist on, it brings your fingers higher up and feels more relaxed.
I WOULD MUCH RATHER PLAY IN A TEAM OF WINNERS THAN IN A WINNING TEAM !

Saratoga
Clan Leader
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Saratoga » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:41 pm

A mouse pad... for his keyboard hand ? ... I want some of what your smoking JT :D

Yeah that wasd thing wasnt my cup of tea from frag one.
Ive got a super weird setup...
Mouse - R mouse for forward, L for fire
K/B - A for zoom, E for left straif, R for backward movement, G for right straif, Space for jump, H for crouch....

* Cough Cough * swap hands mate ?
In Loving Honour & Memory of =PiT= Baldrick
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º>
Quote="SCUMBAG" Yes Baldy was a fuckin legend and will always live on here !! =etouQ

JToombsy
Clan Member

Re:

Postby JToombsy » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:55 pm

cug
Clan Member

Postby cug » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:37 pm

Have you tried a trackball before Gub? I had a similar problem that went away when I started using a logitech trackman.
You can't really play an fps with them (only thing I occasionally use a mouse for now) but for everything else (browsing, drawing etc.) it's fine.
Last edited by cug on Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

INKoRP

Re:

Postby INKoRP » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:45 pm

JToombsy
Clan Member

Postby JToombsy » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:38 pm

Quake was the first game I ever played that required the use of both mouse and keyboard and wads was the first style I learnt to play. But I'm sure people have some strange setups out there! However so far toga tops my list! :P unless some one still uses arrow keys for m ovement and pgup and dwn for looking! :P

INKoRP

Postby INKoRP » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:24 pm

After shifting to CA I found I had to switch to ESDF to make room for all the weapon binds. It seems to fit my hand better for Tab and stuff as well.

Still whistling to myself about Toga's setup...RMB for +forward... I thought RMB for +moveup was weird! :P

Saratoga
Clan Leader

Postby Saratoga » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:24 pm

After smashing my hands many times as a kid, that ole wasd default was just to cramped.

I dunno why it sounds so wierd, i simply opened my hand to a comfy resting position then put it down on the k/b & set the binds accordingly.

Look ... no cramped hand here -
Attachments
DSCF2648.JPG

Quote="SCUMBAG" Yes Baldy was a fuckin legend and will always live on here !! =etouQ

Saratoga
Clan Leader

Re: Re:

Postby Saratoga » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:56 pm

Gubben
Clan Member

Postby Gubben » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:15 pm

yeah i used to have a little gel support thing but i think i threw it out a little while ago, Murphy's law...

To make matters worse (and what has been contributing to an all over body pain, knees, feet, hands etc) is i got the results of a blood test today, and tested positive for Ross River Fever, ffs...

Thanks for the feedback though, not sure about that config Toga ;)

Saratoga
Clan Leader

Postby Saratoga » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:02 pm

Not possible Gubbs... just ask Nth NSW Councils, there is no Ross River Fever in NSW :roll:

Thats a shitter man, I got a bout of RRF up in Cairns 20yrs ago. Fkd me up for months.

hardy

Postby hardy » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:02 am

Be careful with the ross river thing gubben, my sister got told she had ross river or dengy fever by mistake via bloodtest only to find out later they meant leukemia.

I dont trust blood banks one bit.

Having said that though read this:

It goes on to say symptoms you may likely suffer are About 95% of symptomatic cases report joint pain. This is typically symmetrical and with acute onset, affecting the fingers, toes, ankles, wrists, back, knees and elbows. Fatigue occurs in 90% and fever, myalgia and headache occur in 50-60%

frodo
Clan Member

Postby frodo » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:25 am

Flatten your kb and put something under the closer edge to you to tiltit away fro you slightly. Make sur your arm is supported and not raised.

Return to “Talk Zone”