Conduit virus

Talk about anything you wish

Moderators: SCUMBAG, INKoRP, Clan Leader

Gubben
Clan Member

Conduit virus

Postby Gubben » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:23 pm

Ok so lately i have been having trouble on my pc, pop ups and crazy window openings when i open a browser... and in ql it wont download maps, mainly in ctf. I found out today my comp is infected with the Conduit virus. Anyone know anything about it? Seems like a pretty bad virus, trying (unsuccessfully) to remove it will spread it to more areas of the comp, apparently...

Dv8
Clan Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Dv8 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:12 pm

What op system , i googled some stuff , check it out , tried hyjackthis ? lets you disable the virus so you can uninstall , bad viruses won't let you get rid of them if their still running , hyjackthis stops them running in the background then you can pick at em :-)

Most viruses you can get rid of if u can stop them running , if hijackthis wont stop it nothing will , is it under various names ?
just google the name , find guide to remove , use hijackthis to stop it running before removal , delete entries in registry after backing up .

or Reformat :-/

hardy
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Conduit virus

Postby hardy » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:57 pm

I have had this issue a couple of times gubs, What browsers are you using ? in firefox you can temporarily fix this by installing the firefox browser and maybe its the same for other browsers. Try a decent anti virus and firewall outfit as well to stop it from infecting you again, Conduit is just a search engine, it probably goes alright lol but yeah its invasive malicous shit we dont need.

A complete reinstall of the windows of your choice will solve the issue untill you are infected or graced with the prescence of conduit again. Conduit is bundled with a number of different software packages and apps and easily finds its way in in the most annoying fashion.

Have a read of these links:

Gubben
Clan Member

Postby Gubben » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:27 am

thanks guys, might take it to the shop and get them to do it, i am not confident to go into the registry etc... and the advisor from Avast said that if its not done properly it could kill the pc altogether...

hardy

Postby hardy » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:34 am

Back up your files to an external hard drive and do a full reinstall gubs. Look for a torrent of windows 7 and burn the image to a disc, i can help you through the reinstall if you want, you still have my number.

kplxz

Re: Conduit virus

Postby kplxz » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:00 am

after many years in IT support I've found a pattern when it comes to these (msh4ft Windows) things:

1. pc is infected
2. repairs are done on windows and software to clean it
3. windows and software keep running but never return to 100% issue-free state

there have been exceptions where the pc runs issue-free after cleaning, but by the time a reinstall is due, usually at least one of the reasons why is the infection.

so if infected these days I'd recommend this:

1. do not turn pc on/off, logoff/logon as much as possible (at all is best)
2. backup data and do not backup any system files (everyone should by now be storing their data on a separate partition for precisely this reason. as of windows 7 a GUI is available to make the partitions)
3. if pc is needed for immediate use (can't reinstall now), then attempt to clean it using one of the *good* solutions (a simple google search of the virus name should return a bunch of pages on how to clean it. don't be scared of the registry Gubs, just follow ALL instructions verbatim; people could accidentally delete the windows folder everyday but they don't, same in the registry just don't delete/edit stuff outside of what you're doing)

4. after cleaning, use pc but as soon as possible reinstall windows (or if you're a prepared boy scout/girl guide restore your image)
5. if the pc is not needed for immediate use, reinstall windows/restore image

once infected, the only way to guarantee bug-free windows/software is to reinstall imo.

most of the allowed hack-code on the interwebs these days is written by knowledgeable sneaky people (many of whom work for our govt, and the other govts of the world, aside from trolling forums for a job..) -->

[*I instered more links here but the URLs were blocked because of the words Fraggin Bullcrap Idiots and Noway Spaz Association...]

so the more h4rdcore are the changes they make to the registry and other system files most of the time can't be cleaned by even the best scanners.
Last edited by kplxz on Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

Gubben
Clan Member

Postby Gubben » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:01 am

Its only my gaming laptop so fortunately there is nothing really to backup except screenshots and demos, but the lady from Avast said even re formatting might not get rid of it...? Dont have your number anymore H as i lost my mobile... pm me it again if you could...

Gubben
Clan Member

Postby Gubben » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:04 am

thanks kplx, ima take it in to the shop next door where i work today and hopefully they can do it, i imagine a re-install is gonna be the go, though i dont have the install cd as windows 7 came loaded on the laptop... anyway, will see how it goes today... thanks for the advice guys

kplxz

Postby kplxz » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:08 am

formatting will get rid of it

the only event where a virus infects a computer outside it's HDD is in the motherboard's BIOS. these BIOS virii ar every rare and if you had one you would know about it. your symptoms do not sound like a BIOS infection to me.

reformatting/reinstall will fix it
Last edited by kplxz on Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

kplxz

Postby kplxz » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:10 am

nps gubs

If you bought a "typical" computer, you should have the product key on a MSh4ft sticker on the side of your case somewhere (usually on the top or back). you can download win7 and just use your key.

If the shop fixes it, I would still reinstall asap. ;)

hardy

Postby hardy » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:09 am

Good advice kpl, Yeah gubs ill pm it too you.

JToombsy
Clan Member

Postby JToombsy » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:31 pm

i had this problem once too! all i did was search for conduit in the start bar, opened the containing folder which had conduit.exe in it, opened task manager and stopped the process then deleted the file before it could load again and problem solved!!! :D also deleted it from fire foxes add on section. :shoot: dead :)
I WOULD MUCH RATHER PLAY IN A TEAM OF WINNERS THAN IN A WINNING TEAM !

Dv8
Clan Member

Postby Dv8 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:28 pm

" everyone should by now be storing their data on a separate partition for precisely this reason. "

dito

I have 2 seperate drives , backup quakelive cofig and all programs on another drive , music , photos etc on seperate drive i,ve been bitten before .

JToombsy
Clan Member

Postby JToombsy » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:31 pm

i can tell! pain in the arse hey!!!!
I WOULD MUCH RATHER PLAY IN A TEAM OF WINNERS THAN IN A WINNING TEAM !

hardy

Re:

Postby hardy » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:51 pm

Return to “Talk Zone”