Sad day for Holden

Talk about anything you wish

Moderators: SCUMBAG, INKoRP, Clan Leader

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Dv8
Clan Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sad day for Holden

Postby Dv8 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:48 pm

I,ve lived in Elizabeth most of my life a couple of kms from holden , i have worked at holden and purchased mainly holdens .

Talking from a locals perspective it will be very bad for local economy , but worse than the impact from that
is the fact that the government and Holdens itself is to blame for the demize of this iconic brand .

http://au.news.yahoo.com/sa/a/20265871/ ... -withdraw/

cug
Clan Member

Re: Sad day for Holden

Postby cug » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:20 pm

Last edited by cug on Thu May 15, 2014 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kplxz

Postby kplxz » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:53 pm

The owners (i.e. the top 5%) of many major industries have been stripping apart the manufacturing jobs and giving them to poor countries for a reason (no not because it's cheaper - that's just the suckers pill to swallow).

Holden and the Govt have themselves to blame but the blame also falls on the people that vote for them election after election, and who stand by while Holden/Ford/etc/etc is sold off and Telecom/etc/etc is privatised only to have their staff thrown out and replaced by cheaper versions from the same poor countries.

Will be nice when everyone wakes up and realises criminals are in power and no, everythings actually not ok at all.

Dv8
Clan Member

Postby Dv8 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:59 pm

Cug agreed they kept the VE S and SS way to expensive for way to long , then after
the GFC they rushed the chev cruise into production , imo was to little to late .

If GM thinks its going to produce a car and badge it " commodore " as an import surely
there not that stupid , dont think the Australian public will buy this rubber duck again thanks
to the stupid management of a company that i think school kids could of told them - "they need economical choices to survive"

GM is heading for more trouble in the U.S .

Like you said Stupid company making V8's and yank tanks when they should of been
thinking small sporty and zippy ...

FFS :roll:

kplxz

Postby kplxz » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:11 pm

Holden were taken over just as all the other major corporations have. They follow orders just like they all do; hence things not adding up...

It's not Holden management that are stupid - they were doing what they were told. Follow the money. Who controls/owns it all (no not the shareholders...)? They are the stupid ones (not to mention the voters who vote for a totally incompetent and mostly corrupt government election after election).

kanonfoda
Clan Member

Postby kanonfoda » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:28 pm

Recently bought a Holden. Good to see I still have the ability to put the kiss of death on everything I touch :oops:

Have done the same with various companies I've worked for and most other things in life, but we won't go into that.

**sigh**
Did I just say that?

INKoRP

Postby INKoRP » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:17 am

Maybe buy a Mac? :P

kplxz

Postby kplxz » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:35 pm

lol kanon & ink

Gubben
Clan Member

Postby Gubben » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:01 am

lol kanon

hey my take on this is simple. Use the factories and staff to build magnetic cars. None of that electric bs which requires fossil fuels to make the electricity, magnetic cars. Or solar/magnetic combos. Seriously, its the future. I dont get the whole electric car idea, if electricity is generated by coal, and we intend to stop using coal, we should not be doing electric cars. Magnetic on the other hand is a different kettle of fish and it could be the phoenix rising out of Holden...?

booGz
Clan Member

Postby booGz » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:12 am

that's a silly idea. any idea how magnets are manufactured? i assume you mean permanent magnets, since you're so against using electricity (?).

well, permanent magnets (more properly called rare-earth magnets) tend to be manufactured from compounds like neodymium and samarium-cobalt (there are others, but the process / dangers are the same) these compounds, while not generally considered toxic, only exist in extremely small quantities in the earth (were talking about < 10 mg per kg of earth).

so for a start to make a decent magnetic car / road system you'd need to have giant open cast mines to acquire enough of the raw materials required to manufacture these magnets -- and all of the risks associated with these mines. but more importantly there is the manufacturing process, since we're talking about such minute quantities the process requires the use of an electrolytic furnace, which uses an enormous amount of electricity (!) to achieve the temperatures required to refine the mineral. once you've got the raw mineral, you still need to make the magnet. and this is a chemical process that uses iron, cobalt, calcium, boron, and other nasty stuff, this reaction takes place in a vacuum induction furnace and uses (you guessed it) electricity (!) to power the thing. and after all of this, you still don't have a magnet yet, the metal produced needs to be ground up into really fine particles, and then pressed and sintered, which again means heating up the compound using even more electricity (!). and guess what? its still not a magnet yet. the metal at this point needs to be plated with something to protect it from corrosion which means more chemicals and electricity (!). now comes the fun part, actually turning it into a magnet. this is a real simple process that involves putting the metal near a magnetic field, only, the way we create a magnetic field strong enough to turn it into a magnet uses, oh shit, more electricity (!).

so, what have we done? created giant open cast mines, used huge amounts of electricity, used highly toxic chemicals. and we haven't event talked about how to safely dispose of the waste by-product of this manufacturing process, or even how the electricity is generated.

what's the point in all of this? well for a start, just because something may seem "clean and green" it doesn't mean it really is. we need to be wise in how use spend the resources of the earth, and one of the most effective ways is to use the electricity we generate (however its generated, nuclear, geothermal, hydrothermal, gas, coal or solar) at the end device where we can design for efficiency and regulate usage appropriately. that is, the electricity required to drive a fleet of electric cars, is _much_ less than the environmental impact of creating a network of magnets for the same purpose.
I WOULD MUCH RATHER PLAY IN A TEAM OF WINNERS THAN IN A WINNING TEAM !

JToombsy
Clan Member

Postby JToombsy » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:22 am

what do you do for a living boogz? :eek: i didnt understand a word of that!!!! :lol:
I WOULD MUCH RATHER PLAY IN A TEAM OF WINNERS THAN IN A WINNING TEAM !

Dv8
Clan Member

Postby Dv8 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:35 pm

LOl Jtoombsy

kplxz

Re:

Postby kplxz » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:56 pm

Last edited by kplxz on Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dv8
Clan Member

Postby Dv8 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:34 pm

Holden to be manufactured in china surprize surprize .

http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2013/la ... 4=Outbrain

Return to “Talk Zone”