Comet: ISON and Encke

Talk about anything you wish

Moderators: SCUMBAG, INKoRP, Clan Leader

hardy
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Comet: ISON and Encke

Postby hardy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:47 am

Looks like we might be up for a bit of a show within the next few weeks :D ISON is supposed to be the size of Australia!

Dv8
Clan Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Dv8 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:05 am

hardy check out the jesus post interesting prophecies , regarding Comets

Story mentions comet ISON

Commet Ison if it survives the sun is reported to light up the skies and be as bright as the sun , provided it doesnt hit the sun...
Last edited by Dv8 on Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

INKoRP

Postby INKoRP » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:52 pm

Hopefully we do get to see it, so amazing to see stuff like this happen.

Sho_OterMcGavin
Clan Member

Postby Sho_OterMcGavin » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:12 pm

Awesome are we supposed to be able to see this from the ground? or will we need a telescope or something

love this stuff

INKoRP

Postby INKoRP » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:56 pm

Apparantly all we need is a bible.

Just kidding, I love ya Dv8 :D

hardy

Re: Comet: ISON and Encke

Postby hardy » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:24 am

Yeah it will be no short of fantastic i hope. This link will tell you how to view it. Apparently there is an application you can get to view it, might be worth looking into. I wish i had a telescope and knew what to look for properly :(

Dv8
Clan Member

Postby Dv8 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:32 am

I have a telescope , before i bought it i couldnt be bothered really lookinh up at the stars , but sinsce i got it i was amazed , i can clearly see jupiter , saturn with its rings unreal to look at , now i can go out side and see straight away where jupiter is and how fast they move across the sky before i didnt take any notice ...
I have an app on my phone also that just by pointing the camera at a "star"it tells u what the name of is it ..LOL only got the app called (carpe noc) theres plenty more , but got it to resolve a dispute with my 14 yr old daughter who apprently lives and breathes astronomy and was disputing that what i was pointing at was jupiter , so downloaded the app , pointed it at the star and wammo Jupiter , argument settled , she walks away tail between leggs DAD rules yeeha , so everytime im up the river with her allways gotta show her where jupiter is she hates it lol , I win :P

but search for an app , it may may not show commets ...
Last edited by Dv8 on Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

INKoRP

Postby INKoRP » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:59 am

Pretty sure the Android app Sky Map (open source Google project) lists 'current events' I recall from the last meteor shower.

booGz
Clan Member

Postby booGz » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:03 pm

ooh what kind of telescope do you have dv8? poogz and i are half done building a 10 inch reflector
I WOULD MUCH RATHER PLAY IN A TEAM OF WINNERS THAN IN A WINNING TEAM !

Dv8
Clan Member

Postby Dv8 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:26 pm

$170 cheepy celestrone , but love to get something alot better ,on the to do list , just getting into it really , only can see jupiter , saturn... Im assuming yours is bigger :p

manhug INK :lol:

Outersquare

Postby Outersquare » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:32 am

I was once invited to view the alignment of 5 of our planets from the top of a building in the Melbourne CBD (must have been 2000 or 2001) with a cool auto-tracking scope. I was not so confident we'd see anything from the middle of a big city with the light pollution and all, but when I put my eye on it and looked, I was blown away ... the person who arranged it had aimed at Saturn first. Like Dv8 said, the rings just look unreal. I was shocked that all this stuff was just so in-your-face and easy to see in such high detail.

I've since taught my daughter to find Venus each evening, and whenever it's around we try to spot Jupiter as well. Both can be seen without a telescope of course. Other cool objects to view unaided are satellites which are fricken everywhere once you start watching for them. These are so distinctive because they move so fast and have a much steadier illumination.

Dv8 with that celstrone you should have no trouble seeing Venus, Mars and Mercury as well (mercury maybe harder because it is so often a horizon-hugger).

And don't forget the moon! The big scopes give you so much detail; make you feel like you could almost see the landing sites :)

Outersquare

Postby Outersquare » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:47 am

Looks like poor ISON didn't make it ...
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/technol ... 6771113440

booGz
Clan Member

Postby booGz » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:16 pm

Perhaps not
I WOULD MUCH RATHER PLAY IN A TEAM OF WINNERS THAN IN A WINNING TEAM !

Outersquare

Postby Outersquare » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:27 pm

Those movies are awesome Boogz cheers! ISON's survival is against the age old odds of a snowball in hell lol.

Dv8
Clan Member

Postby Dv8 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:50 pm

Yer outersquare , got to get a bigger scope , I usually compete with my daughter whenever where outside to spot jupiter ,

saturn i needed a map to find , moon is good to look at to , apparently can get filters for different planets etc . Love to get a huge scope with auto tracking . Was amazed how fast things move across the sky ...

Awsome video boogz

Return to “Talk Zone”