BMW R100RS 1MK Restoration

Talk about anything you wish

Moderators: SCUMBAG, INKoRP, Clan Leader

Saratoga
Clan Leader
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Saratoga » Fri May 09, 2014 2:18 pm

My condolences to your friend borgz... a painful process indeed.
Yep... a 'ride in' sidecar unit would be awesome for wheelchair access & usability.

I too might be interested in an /another older BMW when she has an idea of what is there.
In particular, I would be keenly interested any pannier's / top box's & mounting racks, if suitable for Betsy.
In Loving Honour & Memory of =PiT= Baldrick
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º>
Quote="SCUMBAG" Yes Baldy was a fuckin legend and will always live on here !! =etouQ

borgasm
Clan Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby borgasm » Fri May 09, 2014 2:36 pm

She has had a bit of a rough time of late. Hopefully this is the last bad thing that happens for a while.

I'll take some pics of any bikes that are there and ask about storage type items. I know he has a bike that has already been restored for sale for about $16k, and around 3 complete bikes yet to be restored and enough spare parts to make you wet yourself.

Saratoga
Clan Leader

Postby Saratoga » Wed May 21, 2014 9:19 am

A friend recently asked about my old jacket, it was destroyed by rats when in storage. I did however manage to salvage a 30y/o hand painted logo that will take pride of place on my new jacket, after it is repainted...

Quote="SCUMBAG" Yes Baldy was a fuckin legend and will always live on here !! =etouQ

JToombsy
Clan Member

Postby JToombsy » Wed May 21, 2014 2:37 pm

a man of many talents toga!! looks like it carries a lot of sentimental value. have you re-painted your guards yet?
I WOULD MUCH RATHER PLAY IN A TEAM OF WINNERS THAN IN A WINNING TEAM !

Saratoga
Clan Leader

Postby Saratoga » Wed May 21, 2014 10:47 pm

I remember the drama I had getting the fairing into some sort of perspective... Them were the days of real Buddha sticks my friends ! ... Aahhhh the memories :lol:

I havnt even stripped those pieces back yet JT.
Its been a hospital multi visit type of month, tiss why I missed Gubb's @ Bentley last weekend :|

INKoRP

Postby INKoRP » Wed May 21, 2014 11:12 pm

Just remembered after seeing that that my old man used to have a K750 for getting into work.

Looked pretty much like this:

Gubben
Clan Member

Postby Gubben » Thu May 22, 2014 9:28 am

hope youre better Toga, i didnt make it to Bentley either in the end, went to a party in Yamba and didnt make it back in time... thats why i missed yer call...

Budda sticks back in the 70s were amazing, now it comes in bags as prime bud....

hardy

Re:

Postby hardy » Thu May 22, 2014 4:28 pm

Gubben
Clan Member

Postby Gubben » Thu May 22, 2014 9:44 pm

lol H. Yeah the 70s was a great decade to be a teenager!

sags
Clan Member

Re: BMW R100RS 1MK Restoration

Postby sags » Fri May 30, 2014 10:17 pm

Hey all, interesting looking ducati there gubs.

Good to see you cracking on with the bmw toga. hey whats the molasses process in the tank all about?.

Well i managed to get the old cb 750four a while back but haven't had time to start on it yet, i can do 1 of 3 things with it seeing as its an x-police bike.
1. could restore back to an original looking police bike, but not that intrested in doing that.
2. i have a spare frame because the police frames were modified to fit panniers and top box and they also ground off parts of frame that mount the pillion foot pegs. So in doing that the bike would have different chassis and engine numbers making it and not worth putting as much time, money and effort into.
3. i rekon ill turn her into a cafe racer, iv seen some very nice examples on different sites and they are a good choice of bike for that look. It also means i can do a half assed job cosmetically and wont feel to bad about it.
Attachments
DSC_0211.JPG
DSC_0179.JPG
had a mate at work paint my old aermachhi tank
DSC_0182.JPG
found this yamaha 2stroke postie bike for $300. rare bike (x-aus post), been a postie for 15 years and never knew they existed. got the hedlight and speedo there in a box just needs seat recovering and a detail. rest of it is fine and runs well
DSC_0209.JPG
started work on the jawa cz. thought it needed a kick starter cog but turned out to be a piece of broken piston ring getting stuck from time to time in the crank journal. Bore is in pretty good shape so just waiting for a new piston and rings in the mail

Saratoga
Clan Leader

Postby Saratoga » Fri May 30, 2014 10:49 pm

Fark man... must be great to have a dedicated work shop space.
The 'cafe' bike scene just has never struck a sweet note to me, I can dig quite a few ive seen... but some are like wtf?
Yeah, splitting matching numbers isnt something to be taken lightly... no matter what you spend, potentially deduct 20-25% - great machinge to work with there !
Nice paint job on the tank, i hope mine is half as good. The molasses is used as a rust remover & converter, as it ferments it converts into a phospheric acid... yeah I think thats the one... 99% of fuel tank cleaners included in tank liner kits are the industrial acid version - the greenie in me choose this method instead, it worked extremely well 1st up and I shall repeat the process after my tank is painted.
No huge progress due to illness but still get a little done every day. Might get to spray all pieces black inside in next day or 2 , out sides are now all primmed & colour ready... except the tank...

hardy

Re:

Postby hardy » Fri May 30, 2014 10:55 pm

sags
Clan Member

Re: BMW R100RS 1MK Restoration

Postby sags » Fri May 30, 2014 10:58 pm

nice, thanks for that. the cz needs a rusty tank remedy.
here's a couple pic's of last state run, covered about 900 odd kms.
Next trip is early november
Attachments
DSC_0145.jpg
DSC_0136.jpg

Saratoga
Clan Leader

Postby Saratoga » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:17 pm

Time for another update -

Showing my skillz -

The Molasses Treatment -

Before -

After -

Progress is slow but continues...

borgasm
Clan Member

Postby borgasm » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:36 pm

Good to see you getting healthy enough to get back into it Toga.
You know how I said I was looking into getting a bike to restore ... that seemed like too small a task so I bought a 1967 Datsun 411 wagon to rebuild. It was already torn down and some bad repairs had been done and sprayed with a high build primer. They didnt treat or cut out rust, they just dented it in an bogged over it and they didnt sand the original paint so their primer didnt stick.
Ive currently got it up onto a rotisserie and removed all the running gear and got it almost down to a bare shell. just the rear lights, pedals, steering system and 2 rear windows remain.
Re-reading your post reminded me of your molasses rust treatment, seemed to work quite well. Where do you get it in bulk and how long does it take? does it convert the rust to anything or dissolve it? diluted or raw? do you know if it removes or damages paint as well?
Its pretty much a shell for now. This pic isnt mine, just a tidy looking version to give people the idea.
Last edited by borgasm on Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Talk Zone”