BMW R100RS 1MK Restoration

Talk about anything you wish

Moderators: SCUMBAG, INKoRP, Clan Leader

Saratoga
Clan Leader
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Saratoga » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:04 pm

Cheers borgz
I am trying to use this work as a type of physio... Wax on left, wax off right.
Yeah... if it wasnt about the cash factor...
In Loving Honour & Memory of =PiT= Baldrick
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º>
Quote="SCUMBAG" Yes Baldy was a fuckin legend and will always live on here !! =etouQ

Saratoga
Clan Leader
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Saratoga » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:25 pm

Well the past 3-4 days has been a huge learning curve of technique, style & application.
This whole stage was an experiment and I wanted to see the results on an actual piece or 3.
This is my 1st ever attempt at custom blend spray painting...

Believe it or not, I am not happy with the result and will strip it back tomorrow.
I have learned much that will be applied on the next attempt.

Quote="SCUMBAG" Yes Baldy was a fuckin legend and will always live on here !! =etouQ

INKoRP

Postby INKoRP » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:38 pm

Sucks hard having to do that but the extra satisfaction at the end is so worth it. Looking good so far.

booGz
Clan Member

Postby booGz » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:28 am

Yay for learning something new. Failure is the best way to learn :)
I WOULD MUCH RATHER PLAY IN A TEAM OF WINNERS THAN IN A WINNING TEAM !

JToombsy
Clan Member

Re:

Postby JToombsy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:14 am

Saratoga
Clan Leader

Postby Saratoga » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:35 am

I did just the 3 pieces as sample starters.

JToombsy
Clan Member

Postby JToombsy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:34 pm

well keep up the good work man, its quite impressive what you have already accomplished. geez you must be a bloody busy bastard!!! :D

booGz
Clan Member

Re: Re:

Postby booGz » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:56 pm

Gubben
Clan Member

Re: BMW R100RS 1MK Restoration

Postby Gubben » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:21 pm

This. Mine. Today. :D

Lets go for a ride Toga!
Attachments
IMG_3064 fri.JPG

hardy

Re:

Postby hardy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:07 am

hardy

Re: BMW R100RS 1MK Restoration

Postby hardy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:08 am

Saratoga
Clan Leader

Postby Saratoga » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:38 pm

Wow !! - Super Cool Gubbs !! I can see your grin in the reflection :D
You will have to do a few k's for me, biatch :P

Quite the opposite Hardy. It might look a nice colour, shinny -n- all... but in person it really doesnt cut the mustard. The flaws are numerous and the finished colours are not what I desire.

I sort of rushed my self trying to make the best of the warm and dry weather that week.
Layer 1 - Unlike the gloss black of the frame, micro pin holes in the primer stand out like dogs balls under the metallic gold & candy red clear.
Solution = more & better detailed inspection during prep.
Layer 2 - Premature sanding of the gold left unremovable scuff marks.
Solution = Double the curing time for gold & use a finner grade sand paper, 1000grit.
Layer 3 - The matt black underside's & edging... well that was a total cockup !
I used the wrong spray nipple size, wrong mixing / thinning ratio, wrong spray pattern's, wrong air pressure, wrong time of day (rushed it in late in arvo being overly eager)... then it sanded like shit in the morning because of the previous 'wrong' ... yep, a total cockup.
Solution = Pay attention this time and do it properly :roll:
Layer 4 - Followed the mix recommendations for the green but it was no where near enough, requiring far to many coats to get less than 30% of desired depth... thus leaving a very 'thick edge' drop to the gold subsurface, which then stands out like shit after the final layer ...
Solution = Quad damage dose of green on next mix... I think a different spray nipple size than I used will also benifit greatly.
Layer 5 - Again, followed mix instructions for the candy red ... and got the same pale result, also requiring far to many coats to get some colour happening... also used the wrong spray pattern creating some lovely 'tiger stripes' to the colour density.
Far to many coats creates an 'orange peel' surface texture that is built upon with each coat, while you can sand & buff the surface to a bowling ball smooth finish.. the orange peel ripples are still evident within the colour depth.
Solution = Quad damage dose of candy red on next mix & wider spray pattern with 50% overlap of passes.

Yes, no one can be a harsher critic than oneself :wink:

JToombsy
Clan Member

Postby JToombsy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:51 pm

love the term 'quad damage dose' :lol: im going to steal that one toga! if this was what you consider bad from what i can see m8 the desired final product is going to look outstanding i would imagine :)

Gubben
Clan Member

Postby Gubben » Mon May 05, 2014 11:58 pm

meticulous process man... look forward to going for a ride one day...

borgasm
Clan Member

Postby borgasm » Fri May 09, 2014 12:26 pm

A close friend of mine just had her step father pass away unexpectedly. He had spent a lifetime living with the results of polio and had to use a walker most of his life, and confined to a wheel chair for the last part as well. That didn't stop him from enjoying motor bikes and spent his time buying old BMW's and doing them up. He even used to have a Harley with a side car that he would ride, and then pull his walker out of the side car and go shopping.

She now has his workshop to go thru (a 4 car long garage) to sell parts and bikes. I might be picking up a 60's or 70's bike to work on myself.

I doubt you need anything Toga, but are there any parts you need replaced, or things you have given up finding? He has a massive amount of old parts in stock that will be getting sold over the next few months.

Return to “Talk Zone”