do you play quakelive differently to previous quakes?

Talk about anything you wish

Moderators: SCUMBAG, INKoRP, Clan Leader

Gubben
Clan Member

Re: do you play quakelive differently to previous quakes?

Postby Gubben » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:15 pm

re rail in all-weapons, your railing skills have not diminished, the power of the rail has.

What occured to me was that in ictf wherever you hit the player it is a kill. So you can be invincible sometimes with the rail cos you only have to hit the player, anywhere, for a full kill. In CA your aiming the same way, only the thing that comes in to play is where you hit the player, headshot or body shot (unless you a leet player who aims for head shot every time no matter what mode). Head shot takes off more health (unless i am mistaken?) than lower body shots so it will take much more than one rail hit to make a kill. So the impression in ictf is you are stronger or have better rail than in all-weaps?

ictf can weaken your rail skills in-all weaps cos you get lazy in where you make the hit..?

kidToni78
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby kidToni78 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:26 pm

Gubben
Clan Member

Postby Gubben » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:29 pm

ah ok, maybe it used to be like that in the original versions of q2 and 3...?

Sometimes i get hit by rail and more damage done than other times in ql all-weaps so whats happening there?

frodo
Clan Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby frodo » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:37 pm

kidToni78

Re:

Postby kidToni78 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:51 am

Outersquare

Postby Outersquare » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:02 am

The straffe jumping technique changed for all three versions of Quake .. I forget if there was much difference between Quake 3 and Quakelive. Maybe some small air movement changes. But I Do recall having to adjust my play style a lot when I went from Quake 1 (Quakeworld in particular) to Quake 2; and another big adjustment to go from Quake 2 to Quake 3.

As an aside, Q3 promode (and CPMA?) was sorta like old Quakeworld physics in the effect, but slightly less complicated to execute.

So, do I play Quakelive differently to older quakes? Hell yeah ... Quake 1 QW was much faster in movement and weapon switching, and Quake 2 was somewhere in between. To be good at the Quake of today you need to be more measured and precise. Overall I think that today's game is more balanced and produces a more intelligent game style. Though I still miss the 'rawness' of Q1.

Were any of you fortunate enough to watch the duel final at Impulse 98 in Melb between Reload and Tim (DM4!)? RAWR!

Mr_Bombadil
Clan Leader

Postby Mr_Bombadil » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:47 pm

heya outer, no didnt see it, but would love to if theres any footage of it still around somewhere. heard heaps about reload, but what i'ed like to know is, do you know if tim was also known as, flesh, dome and god knows what else lol, someone once told me that flesh was aus's number 1 dueller at one stage (flesh's real name was tim)

Outersquare

Postby Outersquare » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:36 pm

I doubt I'm the only person on this forum that was at Impulse 98. The footage still exists in a few places. The easiest would be to get it here (http://methosq.com/qdemos.htm). You will find theone you want listed under the DM4 heading, called Reload vs Tim .. scroll way down. It's a tiny 17 minute demo in Normal Quake format (NQ) and works fine because I tested it. Yes I still have a working install of every version of Quake 1 :)

Regarding Tim, I still have contact with him from time to time, but by e-mail only. As far as I know he doesn't play Quake anymore, though I know he did sample Quakelive when it was in beta. Those names you mentioned don't ring any bells, but who knows, it could be him! Maybe there are two Tim's :)

I'm told (by Tim funnily enough!) that Reload was still playing Quakeworld as late as 2009, but that's all I've heard.

kplxz

Postby kplxz » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:50 pm

I prefer the gphx and textures from Q2...

Couldn't find Impulse on youtube but I did find this:

cite

Postby cite » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:18 pm

Tim did change his name but I don't recognise those suggestions Bomb. He was interviewed in challenge-au.com by Hoony where he was asked about it so you might be able to find it on the waybackmachine.com

The I98 final was a pretty amazing match at the time. It should be noted that Quake could be configured with certain death match settings and the map DM4 was played without 'weapon stay' and respawn times were 20-30 seconds on the guns so Tim kept Reload away from the RL for a long time. Was pretty tense ! Once Reload finally got a gun it all went down hill.

Outersquare

Postby Outersquare » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:37 am

How could I forget you were there Cite :) Q2 Team DM right? Some of it's coming back lol ... without cheating and trying to Google the teams, I think it was TR Team A = Dexter+Predator+Lecker+Hellfire, and Team B = Cite+Steve?(forgot his Quakename)+Mike?(forgot his Quakename)+Jamie?(forgot his Quakename). Amazing that 4-5 of you guys still play!

I think we agree the Q1 duel final was awesome, but the Q2 Duel final was just as good (Hellfire + Dae ... can't recall the name properly).

Are comps even run like that anymore? Two guys face-to-face up on a stage with a big screen backdrop, commentator (wasn't it the ID guy Tim Willit's?) in front of a big audience ( couple of hundred people maybe ?). You don't get that online!

cite

Postby cite » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:49 pm

Dex and Pred were playing for a different team at that stage, I can't quite remember the name of them. Team A was the members who were able to LAN for pretty much a full week in the lead up to the event at Lecker's (gote) place. They were Leck, Heli, Psyc (Mike) & Ratsack. When I think how many players we had I think it might have gone down to team C as well. 2 of the guys in my team for the comp had some religious holiday and didn't turn up so it was pretty fail for me. By then I was over Q2 and was mainly playing qwctf with you and the rest of FOC on Wireplay. THOSE WEEKLY GAMES WERE SO AWESOME !

As a clan we had gone to Impulse 97 and got totally out played, I was the only one who made it past the FFA rounds and into the duel comp. Q2 was rumoured to come out any time after that so we decided to switch to q2 (we had all come in a bit too late in qw) and win I98. TR won TDM, Duel and HL2DM FFA.

I'd say the TDM was the most dominant TDM match of all time. A funny moment near the end when Heli actually died and came to Leck for a weapon. Q2 let you keep as many guns as you had collected so running backwards and mashing his drop guns / drop ammo keys he left a trail of about 10 rockets and 20 shotguns !

Dae Breaker was the other finalist. That match went into overtime.

Nothing like that comp any more. We waited 12 months for it to come around.

Broadband has changed the face of gaming now, there is no real incentive to LAN as much as we did back in those days (33/56k modems)

Outersquare

Postby Outersquare » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:09 pm

Cite and I are hijacking your thread for nostalgic purposes OK Bomba !

i97 ! ... i was there too, but I don't think we knew each other then Cite.

I don't remember much other than the Duel final between Bro and some punk teenage kid (K5?), on a map designed for the comp (Messy). Great map, but I don't think it was ever seen again. Bro won, but it was oh so close, and he was running for his life for the last few minutes. The K5 fans (also pimply teenagers) weren't happy and started up some timid booing, but Bro was an adult and part of the LAN 'in-crowd', so they weren't TOO vocal lol. Sadly, I think nearly all record of that ground-breaking LAN comp is gone from public web space. You never know though, there might be some old farts like me out there with archives of everything they were involved in. The only article with any real information I found still up was here (http://www.perthmaps.com.au/perth-maps- ... -shootout/).

That duel final was interesting because it was the first time someone really used the Lightning Gun in tactical play (Bro), rather than going all out Rocket Launcher. For those that don't know, the Quake 1 RL rockets move through the air much faster than the Quakelive rockets do, so it was really the weapon of choice for most players back then.

FOC ... great times. Even Dex and Pred joined us near the end of that era (only because you and Binky were there I suspect). We still keep the old web page up if you want to stroll down the ancient archive halls haha (http://www.spybitch.net/foc/). And of course I still have loads of demos with you in them!

sags
Clan Member

Postby sags » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:33 pm

playing bf3 at the mo

Kimahri
Clan Member

Re:

Postby Kimahri » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:47 pm

So the doctor said that I wouldn't get so many nose bleeds if I just kept my finger out of there! =P

Return to “Talk Zone”