The OpenBSD Crowd are a bunch of masturbating monkeys....

Talk about anything you wish

Moderators: SCUMBAG, INKoRP, Clan Leader

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Kamikazee
Admin

The OpenBSD Crowd are a bunch of masturbating monkeys....

Postby Kamikazee » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:29 pm

The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success

spud
Wiggles

Postby spud » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:50 pm

hurray! you win at nerd!!! :D

I pretty much agree tho, some of the pure fucking idiocy that gets passed off as IT security makes me want to shit. Wait until you work for a decent sized company mate and prepare to marvel at the vigorous retardation and spectacular stupidity that goes unchallenged in the name of security.

disgracian
Clan Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby disgracian » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:32 pm

I can attest, to some small degree, to that. I've only spent a couple of weeks there, but the tie I have to wear is definitely not the only thing giving me that suffocating feeling.
Cheers,

spud
Wiggles

Postby spud » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:53 pm

the one thing that annoys me mightily are those shitheads who have bought into the idea that forcing people to create a password of minimum length 8 that must contain at least one number and one upper case letter. Not so bad on it's own but to then go and force users to change it once a month and not allowing it to be the same as their previous 5 passwords? Stupid. The net result of that security policy? Users write their password down on a post it and stick it to their monitor. Real secure dipshit. Especially useless in an internal facing server with no net connection.

jof
Clan Member

Postby jof » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:17 pm

disgracian
Clan Member

Postby disgracian » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:28 am

Cheers,

spud
Wiggles

Postby spud » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:20 pm

yeah Dis, leet is a guaranteed strong password, but try explaining it to a 50 year old secretary :'(

Keyboard is the first place you look if it's not stuck on the monitor. I used to sit next to a guy who would draw little rebuses of his passwords and stick them on his monitor.

Leone
Clan Member

Postby Leone » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:24 am

One method I saw was a little device you carry around that spits out a new 8 digit key every 60 secs. You then add your own 4 digit PIN at the start to give you a 12 digit password that changes every minute. Pretty neat (unless you lose it....even then there's no corporate marking on it).

spud
Wiggles

Postby spud » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:48 pm

at work we have accesslink cards, they look like calculators with no operator keys. To login you put a 4 digit key into it and it spits out a 6 digit "password". This is something I have no issue with since the 4 digit key never changes (well never forces a change, you can change it if you like). It's reasonably secure since the card is useless by itself and it requires both a login ID and the 4 digit key before it can log you on.

Return to “Talk Zone”