New Stuff!

Talk about anything you wish

Moderators: SCUMBAG, INKoRP, Clan Leader

blink
Admin

New Stuff!

Postby blink » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:04 pm

Greetings Pitoreans,

As I alluded to a few days ago, we have some new ideas for the website.

We are looking to provide the following features for long-term PiT forumers:
- Webhosting (and FTP) with enough space and bandwidth to host most things you would want
--- This includes PHP support and a MySQL database if you want it
- Subdomains (eg. have a website at http://blink.intothepit.org/)
- xxx@intothepit.org email accounts (not sure if they support POP/IMAP at this stage)
- Also some other features will be available, but will probably be of less interest to anyone

Essentially, you will have access to your own fully-fledged web account, for Free! Yay!

Unfortunately we only have 10 accounts (for now at least) up for grabs, and there are probably 12-15 regulars on these forums so not everyone will be able to get one depending on demand.

The hosting of the site will remain in Australia (so hopefully we won't be going back to the painful page load times of Baldrick's old host).

Please register your interest here :)

PS. as a side note, we will be trialling the new webhost for a month or two. If people experience any connectivity problems, we'll consider going back to the old one. (nothing annoys me more than downtime!)

- Blink
Last edited by blink on Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You and your red fabric robe, glasses and peace pipe in your mouth for that damned split second!

Kamikazee
Admin

Postby Kamikazee » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:06 pm

Unfortunatly we coudlnt find a host that comes with a free servicing from bandit... ;)
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success

..ME..

Postby ..ME.. » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:37 pm

i wouldnt mind a little space to upload some shit that can be access at uni by myself and a couple of mates, saves emailing back and forth and what not, not overly worried tho, im sure others have a better use for the space and they should get the priority but ill save it going to waste if its doing so
Long live the =PiT=

Greatbloke
Clan Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Greatbloke » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:25 pm

It would be good to have a site where we can upload our movies, music, Tv shows to share.

spud
Wiggles

Postby spud » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:05 pm

SCUMBAG
Clan Leader
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby SCUMBAG » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:18 am

blink
Admin

Postby blink » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:36 pm

You and your red fabric robe, glasses and peace pipe in your mouth for that damned split second!

disgracian
Clan Member

Postby disgracian » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:30 pm

spud, have you tried the for Perl? SQL on CSV files. Better than nothing when you don't actually have database support.

Another option I've thought about but never actually attempted is . More functional than DBD::CSV in that it is actually a DBMS but you may be able to install it because it's pretty minimal.
Cheers,

spud
Wiggles

Postby spud » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:49 pm

is Perl typically more available on a webhost than PHP? DB?
Seems like an odd thing to write for Perl given that its really a big fat regex engine :P

Leone
Clan Member

Postby Leone » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:31 am

So long as you lads don't break anything while you're giving it all a good servicing (I curse you Spudford :P )

Kamikazee
Admin

Postby Kamikazee » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:43 am

We'll start setting up everything on the new host this week, as I finally have some (yet limited) time off between Uni/Work/Other Sys Admin work I'm doing (I have no real personal time atm... even my drinking time is mixed with work...).
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success

Greatbloke
Clan Member

Postby Greatbloke » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:31 am

"even my drinking time is mixed with work"

LOL

disgracian
Clan Member

Postby disgracian » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:15 pm

Perl is installed by default on a lot of Linux distros by default. The ActiveState Perl interpreter is freely available for other platforms. It also has a metric shitload of modules to accomplish almost any task you like.
Cheers,

spud
Wiggles

Postby spud » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:12 pm

yeah I know, I script in Perl most days, it's a tad more versatile than shell scripting ;-). I meant, is Perl going to be available on any given website? I don't really know but my guess would be most ISP web spaces wouldn't give you CGI, right?

disgracian
Clan Member

Postby disgracian » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:59 pm

I can't speak for most ISPs. Internode does though. I'm pretty sure that most non-Windows based webhosting would support CGI.
Cheers,

Return to “Talk Zone”