Super-speed Internet satellite blasts off in Japan

Talk about anything you wish

Moderators: SCUMBAG, INKoRP, Clan Leader

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Greatbloke
Clan Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Super-speed Internet satellite blasts off in Japan

Postby Greatbloke » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:25 pm

(CNN) -- Japan launched a rocket Saturday carrying a satellite that will test new technology that promises to deliver "super high-speed Internet" service to homes and businesses around the world.

If the technology proves successful, subscribers with small dishes will connect to the Internet at speeds many times faster than what is now available over residential cable or DSL services.

The Associated Press said the satellite would offer speeds of up to 1.2 gigabytes per second.

The service initially would focus on the Asia-Pacific region close to Japan, a JAXA news release said.

"Among other uses, this will make possible great advances in telemedicine, which will bring high-quality medical treatment to remote areas

Last edited by Greatbloke on Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rusty
Clan Member

Postby Rusty » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:33 pm

Zoom Zoom.....

..ME..

Postby ..ME.. » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:00 pm

1.2 gig/sec. that will be awesome if we ever see if in our day
Long live the =PiT=

spud
Wiggles

Postby spud » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:03 pm

fuckin lol, our children's children will be dead before anything like that lands in Australia

Greatbloke
Clan Member

Postby Greatbloke » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:46 am

..unless we blow up Telstra ..ha ha

GURU
Clan Member

Postby GURU » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:37 pm

long live the P U T E Y ! :)

spud
Wiggles

Postby spud » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:12 pm

there'd be no internets at all if they did that. I'm happy for them just to rough em up a bit :D

Kamikazee
Admin

Postby Kamikazee » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:01 pm

well we are getting a new fibre channel out to asia (can't remember where specifically) ...

Australia is the leading western/developed country in slow and expensive as fuck broadband/dsl. Go Australia Go!
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success

Leone
Clan Member

Postby Leone » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:40 am

That's cause we're far away and small (like Spud's junk). That's not going to change in a hurry, so neither is our Broadband. And the satellite speeds are NEVER as fast as they say they will be. There's a $300million new cable going from the US to Japan as well I think...

Kamikazee
Admin

Postby Kamikazee » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:58 am

Yeah I was trying to find the news link for that new cable from US to JAP... because apparently Google owns it.
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success

..ME..

Postby ..ME.. » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:03 pm

this isnt using a satellite but still crazy speeds.

"...researchers in France have successfully transmitted optical data at an absolutely blazing sped of 16.4 Tbps over a distance of over 1,500 miles....."

Long live the =PiT=

Leone
Clan Member

Postby Leone » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:14 am

Now that's quick!

Return to “Talk Zone”