omg newsgroups!

Talk about anything you wish

Moderators: SCUMBAG, INKoRP, Clan Leader

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
blink
Admin

omg newsgroups!

Postby blink » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:35 pm

You and your red fabric robe, glasses and peace pipe in your mouth for that damned split second!

blink
Admin

Postby blink » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:44 pm

Oh yeah the internode news server is news.internode.on.net

I'm using Newsleecher as my newsgroup client...Find a cracked copy on mininova :P

alt.binaries.tv is a good place to get tv shows from :)

There's a pretty good tutorial for how to use it , although it is for a slightly older version of Newsleecher, most of it still applies.

Newsleecher has a useful feature where you can download the latest 10/100/1,000/10,000/100,000/1,000,000,000 headers if you want a recent release but not have to download several million headers which can take up a fair bit of time/quota.
You and your red fabric robe, glasses and peace pipe in your mouth for that damned split second!

jof
Clan Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby jof » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:08 am

I used to download a tonne of high def movies off usenet. The thing is though the newserver your ISP will run will invariable have a really shitty feed. Downloads on usenet are split into thousands of small parts and you need every part (or at least around 95%) to put it together. So you'll find for any decent sized file your free ISP newserver will be useless.

There's also the issue of retention. Big groups can easily get several terrabytes of files uploaded to it a day. The server has a limit for each group and when it's filled the oldest stuff is deleted. A low capacity server may only have a particular file for less than a day giving you no chance to grab it. Even worst you may be half way through a download as the rest of it gets deleted! Happened to me a couple of times into a 12Gb download lol.

Unless the quality of our local Aussie ISPs newsevers has changed drastically in the last year or so you really need to sign up with a paid newserver company. I used to pay and for me it was worth it. I had an unlimited connection and after getting a big screen tv I developed a high def movie addicition. Usenet was the only real place to get this stuff at the time too.

Finding shit on a busy group can be a major pain. That DH group used to have a forum so you could monitor that and then look for the users post when he announced it. It's since shut down though. I think now though people can make a small file from their postings kind of like a torrent. You just download that and it'll add the relevant messages to your que.

blink
Admin

Postby blink » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:26 pm

You might be thinking about newzbin (nzb) files, jof? They sound really useful, but it seems like you have to pay for a decent newzbin service... quite frankly, fuck paying to pirate stuff :P

The internode newsserver seems quite good though, I don't know the exact numbers but it seems to have pretty good retention and completion rates... I haven't run into any problems yet.

Leone
Clan Member

Postby Leone » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:21 pm

SCUMBAG
Clan Leader

Postby SCUMBAG » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:40 pm

Greatbloke
Clan Member

Postby Greatbloke » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:29 pm

While I think of it, This site has a few direct downloads.

http://thezogg.info/

blink
Admin

Postby blink » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:10 pm

rapidshare D:

do they still have that thing where u can't download more than one file every few hours? if it weren't for that, it'd be a pretty decent way of sharing files

Rusty
Clan Member

Postby Rusty » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:17 pm

If you want speed I'de suggest you sign up to Private Torrent Sites. Speed is fantastic and variety is huge.

blink
Admin

Postby blink » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:13 pm

Yeah there's some awesome private trackers out there, like torrentleech. Though torrentleech is very newbie unfriendly for a variety of reasons :S Anyone wanna recommend/invite me to a good private tracker? :D

Greatbloke
Clan Member

Postby Greatbloke » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:36 am

Yeah Blink. I've downloaded a couple of files and then had to wait around 60 or 80 minutes before being allowed to download another one. .... unless I pay for an upgrade.

TV Torrents as I've mentioned here before gives very fast download speeds, usually full speed for the new episodes that I download. You have to upload something to get credit before you can start now, though.

cug
Clan Member

Postby cug » Mon May 07, 2007 3:18 pm

blink
Admin

Postby blink » Mon May 07, 2007 8:02 pm

Leone
Clan Member

Postby Leone » Mon May 07, 2007 10:57 pm

cug
Clan Member

Postby cug » Mon May 07, 2007 11:04 pm

Return to “Talk Zone”