Scam or Legit????

Talk about anything you wish

Moderators: SCUMBAG, INKoRP, Clan Leader

..ME..

Scam or Legit????

Postby ..ME.. » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:01 pm

Ok im think a scam but im not sure; let me fill u in first...

My dad received an email from a lawyer from Baker & McKenzie LLP, a huge law firm according to its website. One of the lawyers sent him an email stating that a possible member of my family was killed in a car crash along with his immediate family; im unsure if we are related or not cause my grand father was adopted and shipped from england around the world and ended up growing up in new zealand and never knew about his biological family until a couple years back. Anyways, the person that was killed worked as an indepenent oil magnate in england and ended up depositing a huge about of money into a bank account. Because no other kin are to be found this lawyer has contacted my dad about the money.

That sounds resonable enough in my opinion but the lawyer has asked to be contacted back on his private email address. This is the part that becomes a bit sketchy; someone from accross the world asking if we wont over 3 million us dollars and we should contact him on his private email address. The email has stated that he is not responsible for the handling of the money, all he would be doing would be advising us on how to claim the money from the bank (for a fee of 45%.!!!!! dont come cheap apparently)

What do you think? Scam??? Legit???

I have contacted the lawyers office on an official email address asking if this is legit, i have also contacted the Sydney office of that same firm with the same question.

:?: :?: :?: :?:
Long live the =PiT=

jof
Clan Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby jof » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:14 pm

Sounds like a scam and a half. Yeah I would telephone the company (from the number you found on their official site) and make inquiries.

GURU
Clan Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby GURU » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:24 pm

sounds dodgy as! :(

but it would certainly be worth following up juts in case its legit!

Then we CAN all come round to your house for the BIG Party ! IF IT IS ! HEHE :)

kev88au

Postby kev88au » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:20 am

lmao.. I didn't read any more then "My dad received an email from a lawyer from Baker & McKenzie LLP, a huge law firm according to its website. One of the lawyers sent him an email stating that a possible member of my family was killed "

and I can tell you from just reading that, that it's hoax...

kev88au

Postby kev88au » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:26 am

Rusty
Clan Member

Postby Rusty » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:31 am

..ME..

Postby ..ME.. » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:12 am

Long live the =PiT=

Leone
Clan Member

Postby Leone » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:49 pm

Simply ask them to prove how you are related. Do not provide them with any details about your family...since they should have all this.

It's a scam, but have some fun and string this turd along for a while...and show us the results :D

..ME..

Postby ..ME.. » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:41 pm

my dad emailed the really fella and the head office in england (where this email originated) and the sydney head office and we havnt heard back lol
Long live the =PiT=

kanonfoda
Clan Member

Postby kanonfoda » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:06 pm

M8 the e-mail address is the give away.

I know no address that resembles (########) ;) Surprised you didn't twig to this as well. ;D
Did I just say that?

kev88au

Postby kev88au » Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:04 pm

lol, I might be a little more inclined to believe it if I had a letter, printed on paper arrive in my letterbox from an official soliciter (forign or domestic). I mean if they could track me down and know my name then they should know my address as well...

Knowing my name is Kevin wouldn't be hard, I mean I make no attempt to hide that... Also, they can get information off mailing lists as well.. you know those "you could win a car, entry is free" and you fill out your name, phone number, income, address, maritual status etc. Well all that information gets sold

bandit
Clan Member

Postby bandit » Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:47 pm

OMG, YOU SHOULD REPLY TO THIS SCAM AS IT LOOKS GENUINE, ALSO COULD YOU SEND ME A 100 BUX AS ONE OF MY FISH IS DYING OF CANCER, I NEED SOME SCOTCH.

Saratoga
Clan Leader

Postby Saratoga » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:58 pm

Did someone say Fish?? & Scotch!!! sound like a fine dinner to me :) A hungie is a bit steap but :(
In Loving Honour & Memory of =PiT= Baldrick
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º>
Quote="SCUMBAG" Yes Baldy was a fuckin legend and will always live on here !! =etouQ

Greatbloke
Clan Member

Postby Greatbloke » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:44 pm

Nice new avatar there Rusty.

Rusty
Clan Member

Postby Rusty » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:35 pm

Thanks GB... I was mucking around with After Effects the othernight and came up with that. I wish I knew how to use the program its very powerful.

Return to “Talk Zone”