The God Delusion

Talk about anything you wish

Moderators: SCUMBAG, INKoRP, Clan Leader

spud
Wiggles

Postby spud » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:11 pm

People, if you're going to try and back your beliefs by pandering to science (which by itself is an idea worthy of comment, but I fear it would be lost on most) then at least take the time to get your facts straight.

3 people is 1497 less than you require for your statistics to have any meaning whatsoever. Feel free to argue with this but you will be wrong if you do.

"even scientists say we only use 10% of our brain" - no scientist says this. In fact, besides new age idiots, the only people who do believe this are talk show hosts - i.e. people who are paid to make stupid people feel better about themselves.

Having a degree in anything is utterly meaningless in a discussion like this apart from the fact it implies you are capable of forming and maintaining a cogent argument (but does not guarantee this).

Almost everything sifz has posted. Oh dear. I kind of hope you are just trolling.

DV8, you still clearly have no real understanding of evolution. Which is ironic given you are quick to point out to others when you think they lack an understanding of the bible. I'm not really interested in continuing this with you, we've both said our piece (multiple times) and are never going to see eye to eye, so there really isn't any point. Note that I am capable of thinking you are wrong on this topic while still being civil on other subjects. I assume the same goes for you.

"atheists who end up being just as dogmatic aka (skeptic) as the groups they are critical of" - atheists have no dogma. I'm kind of curious as to what you think a balanced atheistic view point would be? As an atheist I do not and will never (unless particularly convincing evidence demonstrates otherwise) believe anything supernatural. Everything from faeries and werewolves to God and gods is complete hogwash as far as I'm concerned. That is already a balanced view if you ask me - show me the evidence and I'll gladly accept absurd claim X. You can't really get more balanced than that.

kplxz
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re:

Postby kplxz » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:19 pm

kplxz
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Re:

Postby kplxz » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:24 pm

kplxz

Re: The God Delusion

Postby kplxz » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:30 pm

kplxz

Re:

Postby kplxz » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:31 pm

kplxz

Postby kplxz » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:32 pm

ok time for me to bow out of this - was nice while it lasted - each to their own - aka freedom. being critical/judgemental or any other vice towards others because of their use of their free will is purely lame (i make mistakes like this too btw..we all learning..). no trolling there.

l8rz

spud
Wiggles

Re: Re:

Postby spud » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:51 pm

kplxz

Postby kplxz » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:18 pm

*soz for jumping the gun then spud

The reason many of the Bible's truths (esp. in the New Test.) are in parable form is because the information is meant for only those who can understand it. Getting the inner core of the onion without peeling off the layers isn't what it's all about. Call it obfuscation if you like but I think that's a somewhat shallow of an interpreation *imo..

spud
Wiggles

Postby spud » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:35 pm

I actually don't have any problem with interpreting the bible, I think that's what you're meant to do. I do have a very large problem with literal interpretation of the bible and I will take anyone to task who tries to do that. I know that's not what you're doing but I do find your posts to be largely opaque, I guess because you prefer not to spell out your own interpretations. I don't think the bible is difficult to interpret, it's messages are pretty basic (and in some cases genuinely interesting), but books like the Revelation of St.John and a huge swathe of the old testament are so obviously the ranting of lunatics that I find taking believers in those texts seriously very difficult.

4rez

Postby 4rez » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:38 pm

Gubben
Clan Member

Postby Gubben » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:08 pm

that Mckenna clip is intense, he lost me so many times, but would love to see what he's seen :)

No offence taken dv8!

Dv8
Clan Member

Postby Dv8 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:10 pm

"DV8, you still clearly have no real understanding of evolution"
like you said why bother u have your beliefs i have mine .
But again i will tell anybody who wishes to "take the piss" and assume im thick that you Cannot get life from nothing , how can poeple possibly understand that ?
Your right i dont understand evolution , and the notion of "Natural selection" is a copout . I believe in adaption and i believe theirs enough information in DNA for want of a better word for wide variety in a species (all Dogs come from the wolf , ) etc but they will always be Dogs .

Scumbag restarted a thread , because he thought it "hell funny" great reading for the newbies , now i assume as i was the only one supporting creation that his comment was directed at me , even saying in a previous post "not to bother commenting " and telling me to chill after suposedly taking the piss .

Forgive if im wrong but i do not like being the but of ppls jokes for what i feel is a mature debate , and scumbag doesn't know me well enough to take the piss without me knowing what angle he is comming from , only my close friends have that right .
But the god delusion debate is here , just for atheists ? if so it wouldnt have 260 odd posts , so i find some of the comments here , just throwing a bait , to be ridiculed when you bite .
So thats it agree to disagree but show respect for ppl ffs , weather christian or ashiest we are supposed to be mature adults not kindergarten kids .
End of my contrubution here ....

SCUMBAG
Clan Leader

Postby SCUMBAG » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:15 pm

Dv8
i have never or will never ridicule u mate, i totally respect ur opinion ... i just don't agree with it !
we are all different and we are entitled to believe what we want
but u really need to lighten up man .......... it was never a serious subject to me (religion to me is a fkn joke )
i did not restart this post to upset you ...................wtf would i do that for ?
but it certainly seems like it did upset you ........ for that i apologize !
maybe i shoulda resurrected the "ye ol joke" thread......... this was obviously a far to touchy subject !

kplxz

Re:

Postby kplxz » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:01 am

in light of dv's post below im deleting this post
Last edited by kplxz on Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dv8
Clan Member

Postby Dv8 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:14 pm

"Dv8"
"i have never or will never ridicule u mate"

"its just so fkn funny"(the thread)

"WE DO NOT NEED TO REPLY"(to me as you said , let the newbies at it , not sure what you meant there ,
dont continue standing up for your beliefs ?)

"if you believe that cock u may's well believe that spider man comics are legit !
adults believing in god is the same as children believing in santa"

I certainly do not see how being the brunt of jokes
for beliefs and a life choice that involves living differently that alot of ppl , can be as simple as saying you may as well
believe in the tooth fairy etc .) To me its an informed decision one certainly not taken lightly , one of concience .
Believing in Evolution would make life a hell of a lot easier in the short term . But as i said i cannot get my head around
life starting from no-life it is an imposibility imo , anyway that is a matter of agreeing to disagree .

Apology accepted of course scumbag , as for lightning up , i do and will stand up for what i believe in , but
im carefull in how i word it as to not belittle other poeple .

Regards Thy Dv8 :-)

Return to “Talk Zone”