The God Delusion

Talk about anything you wish

Moderators: SCUMBAG, INKoRP, Clan Leader

blink
Admin

Postby blink » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:56 pm

Dv8, when you come in here and start spouting the god of the gaps fallacy like it's of an epiphany, accusing science of being some huge conspiracy to against god, calling everyone puppets, making doomsday predictions - then you deserve to get called out on it. Ridiculous ideas deserve to be ridiculed.

And for the record, I was raised Catholic. I grew up reading the bible, going to church, I've been baptised, taken communion, done confession, been confirmed, hell I was even a choir boy for 4 years (believe it or not, lol) so don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about wrt to the bible.

And I won't need you to thaw me Dv8. I have faith god will thaw me.
You and your red fabric robe, glasses and peace pipe in your mouth for that damned split second!

Dv8
Clan Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Dv8 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:21 am

"dont ever speak to me again , in any which way or form"

something about that u fail to understand ?

Dox

Postby Dox » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:37 pm

Hardcore non-believer here.

Come the fuck at me bros.

:D

INKoRP

Postby INKoRP » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:13 pm

/me weighs in

lulz,
+1 with Dox (and common sense :P)

cresh0r
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby cresh0r » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:44 pm

i prefer to think for myself, not let a bible tell me what/how to think :/

also...i thought this was interesting

http://members.shaw.ca/tfrisen/Bbl/Sexism/Sexism.html
new sig coming soon meanwhile..LOK OUT - DIKTEKTIV CRISH ON DA CAS

Brunowa
Clan Member

Postby Brunowa » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:46 pm

You can summarise this thread in wikipedia... just scroll down to Reasons for Adherance to Religious belief and then Reasons for rejection of religious belief (which is twice as long btw ;):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_belief

EDUBYA
Clan Member

Postby EDUBYA » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:37 pm

i was also raised in a christian family, but ive spent the last 7 years at uni which has opened my eyes to a vast array of other notions. personally, its fair to say that i look at things of this nature utilising scientific method ie: if a hypothesis or statement is made it must be verified with ample evidence - and must be able to be replicated. after all, the world we reside in is dictated by rules - gravity, biology, physics etc - the earth IS a dictatorship - weather we like it or not.

looking at the history and evolution of religions (going all the way back to the originals) - it seems most newer religions ie: christianity follows similar traditions; ie: gods share same characteristics - born of virgin, died/resurrected, 12 apostles etc
seems a bit of a farse for me.

EDUBYA
Clan Member

Postby EDUBYA » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:44 pm

i wish more people (particularly religious people) spent more time into looking after the earth we have, rather than wasting energies arguing about who made it.

spud
Wiggles

Postby spud » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:59 pm

I agree edubya, the history of religion should be enough to disqualify it from any consideration except as a curiosity. I can remember an old creation science video I saw where the presenter frequently used the phrase "willful ignorance" to describe non-believers (note, non-believers is much broader than atheists). The irony was overwhelming, I couldn't even laugh.

Noobitor
Clan Member

Re: The God Delusion

Postby Noobitor » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:01 pm

Religion and god really are two totally different things
I respect dv8's faith ,hold firm mate ,maybe your spot on ,few can see the big picture , but at the same time 'ive always disliked christianity's exclusive truth over all other cultures spiritial truths.

Ultimate Truth is not exclusive and the right to seek it is universel for all ,regardless of culture ,creed or social standing.
The Ultimate word of God has many versions and reinterpritations so there is not really a Ulimate Version of the Bible.
Though the story may be similar in all , the underlying ideologies and theologies are different.

Personally ,i like reading the bits chopped out , misinterpreted ,or totally rejected from whats currently presented as the infallible word of god .Like any good scholar ,you read as much various source info and make your own mind upto its validity .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Sea_Scrolls

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gospel_of_Mary

Religion should be about teaching people how to have their own personel experience of god ,not about theology and religious dogma.
Let alone about institutionalized tax free business, wealth accumulation, politics and worldly power over the dominions of man and god.

But also , in some ways dv8 is right , the world is/has been on a path of fear ,pain ,war ,toxic wasted blood feud , fueled by greed , jealousy and the lust for power , wealth , control , for the last few thousand years , mostly in the name of god , for king , country and the rule of Law , And the Devil is in the paperwork!

The only time limit 'Ive read about in biblical prophercy is those alive at the refounding of the jewish state in 1948 will see the end days in there lifetime .so the general timing of Armageddon as defined by Biblical Prophercy is still a near future thing.

Out of interest the prophercies of St Malachy state the next pope will be the last pope ,Peter of Rome , returned to see the distruction of the Holy Roman Church he founded.

We seem to be coming to a point of convergance of many different traditions Crux point in time.
And again only time will tell if prophets have a hot line to God/Cosmic Counciousness/Spiritial realms and a clear insight into future events.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophecy_of_the_Popes

personally I don't think it matters what religion you are or are not ,for me creation was the big bang event ,since then evolution of consciousness and also the vehicles of consciousness has been in play ,spiritial evolution via reincarnation makes more sense to me ,than one lifetime and the whole heavon and hell mythos .
Though what can a fool really know!
Live to Gaunt
Gaunt to Live

spud
Wiggles

Postby spud » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:22 pm

The world has been on the verge of the second coming or Armageddon or the apocalypse or whateverthefuck you want to call it for 2000 years now (the christian brand of armageddon, other armageddons have been just around the corner for even longer). How many times does religion or the flavour-of-the-day prophet have to be wrong before people stop bothering? I'll happily bet anyone here whatever they like (including my immortal soul vs. $50) that the world will continue to function just as it always has come 2013. Totally blows my mind that grown ups entertain this end of world idiocy for any reason other than the 2 hour diversion offered by a bad hollywood movie.
Personally I will not be so sad if armageddon comes, for no other reason than it'll give me a chance to say "armageddon outta here!", and then exit stage left. For the lols.

EDUBYA
Clan Member

Postby EDUBYA » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:34 pm

INTERESTING AND THOUGHT PROVOKING PARADIGM OF RELIGION:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZgT1SRcrKE

Brunowa
Clan Member

Re:

Postby Brunowa » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:51 pm

jay
Clan Member

Re: Re:

Postby jay » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:56 pm

Arguing on the internet is like winning the special Olympics. Even if you win you're still a 'tard!

Noobitor
Clan Member

Postby Noobitor » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:18 pm

armageddon outta here! lol yer thats classic. :D
Live to Gaunt
Gaunt to Live

Return to “Talk Zone”