The God Delusion

Talk about anything you wish

Moderators: SCUMBAG, INKoRP, Clan Leader

Dv8
Clan Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Dv8 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:41 pm

same as me guru , stick religion ...

disgracian
Clan Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby disgracian » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:55 pm

You weren't expressing any opinion here, just sooking. It's apparently okay for you to have little digs at others but I'm the bad guy for calling you on it?

When you want to start actually expressing an opinion or even having something remotely worthwhile to say on the topic then I'm all ears, but I don't have any sympathy for moaning and bleating.

If we can get back to the topic, what are your thoughts on equal time for alchemy and astrology in school science classes? Perhaps other creation myths should have their time as well. Aboriginal Dreamtime perhaps?

I'll be interested in hearing any reason for disallowing the above that doesn't apply just as well to ID or Biblical creationism.

Surprise me.
Cheers,

spud
Wiggles

Postby spud » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:32 am

Dv8
Clan Member

Postby Dv8 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:02 pm

Sammus
Clan Member

Postby Sammus » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:26 pm

disgracian
Clan Member

Postby disgracian » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:35 pm

Cheers,

Dv8
Clan Member

Postby Dv8 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:05 pm

disgracian
Clan Member

Postby disgracian » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:34 pm

Cheers,

GURU
Clan Member

Postby GURU » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:10 pm

well i think that this whole debate has lost the plot and u guys r getting stuck into each other which is pointless.

on one hand we have god
on the other we have evolution

god / religion - we have probly the majoritory of peeple who are good and a minoritory who hide behind it to kill peeple.
the bible is suppsedly based on fact . very debatable.

evolution - well there aint no killing [i think] and everything is on theories supposedly based on some facts .how true relevant useful well that is most certainly debatable.

i think evolution makes more sense to me when u really sit down and think about it . but wot of the proof ???????? very lacking 4 sure

so there u have it grey and greyer ! :)
long live the P U T E Y ! :)

Dv8
Clan Member

Postby Dv8 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:12 pm

well if i throw a ball up its a fact its gonna come back down again , dont need to be a scientist to understand that , call it gravity put another scientific name to it , same as magnetism their both laws of the universe their facts ... Evolution is not , argue all u will it aint a fact , its widely accepted ...
but at a point in time poeple accepted the earth to be flat too ..

what intrigues me is thay my beliefs dont change , but accept evolution is to accept that what you,ve believed to be factual for the past few years or so change as theories and opinions change .
So in 5 years time you could be arguing a different point with me , because science says so .

Look disgracion , i agree to disagree , i respect u regardless , i enjoy the argument .
I have my beliefs period , think of me what u will ...

cheer,s ...

disgracian
Clan Member

Postby disgracian » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:07 pm

And if you study biology you can observe evolution in action. Small steps, yes, but you only have to extrapolate those over greater time spans and use the fossil record for verification. My point about bringing up gravity is that we know less about how it works than we do about evolution. One is easier to casually observe, granted, but an objective study of the evidence show that both are fact.

Aside from all that, it remains true that the only reasons people use to reject evolution are religious reasons. There are no scientific reasons to do so, none that aren't based on misunderstandings, outdated information or outright hoaxes. The only resistance to the idea comes from adults who don't want to accept that stories about a fairy-tale garden 6000 years ago with talking serpents and magical fruit are just allegory and not actually literally true.

You regard changing theories as a weakness, which I find quite revealing. I perfer a system that is honest enough to re-examine what it holds to be true in the light of new evidence or information, and admit error when necessary. That's called progress: the thing that the hordes of stubborn, uncreative religous plankton try with all their strength to hold back. As has been said by somebody famous: to be absolutely certain of something, you need to know either everything about it or nothing. It's pretty obvious which category religious faith falls into.

As spud said earlier, this is not intentionally directed solely at you. It's directed at those who are responsible for holding the human race back by perpetuating archaic myth and raging against knowledge in the process because it impacts on their ability to deny reality. I leave to you the task of deciding whether or not you are the target of my rant.
Cheers,

spud
Wiggles

Postby spud » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:40 am

disgracian
Clan Member

Postby disgracian » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:48 am

On top of everything else the rise of fanatical Islam is responsible for, we can add a sharp increase to the volume of our own brand of fundamentalism in response. Now on top of worrying about being overrun by psychotic wankers who will want to install Sharia law in my country, I have to worry about our own culture backsliding into Christian "values" and all the baggage associated with that. Thank you very much, Islamofascist shitkickers.
Cheers,

Dv8
Clan Member

Postby Dv8 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:08 pm

omg im signing out of this debate ,

the fossil record doesnt prove evolution to be fact at all , if anything it shows that evolution cannot be proven by the fossil record as its full of holes that theory fills in , if evolution was a fact you wouldnt have to theorize the 'indisputible" proof would be everywere . No holes in the record .

as ive said before its a record of extinctions not evolution , otherwise it would clearly show species in the middle of changes , but it does NOT it shows seperate and discernable species , (missing links) right across the board ...

why would anybody want to believe in a god , i mean with a god comes a concience .
and dont compare islam with christianity , the bible condemns false religion , theirs many things that the bible condmens that religions teach , so that make the bible bad or religion ?

sry dont sit their and say evolution is fact , thats bs it aint a fact , its a widely accepted theory ...

disgracian
Clan Member

Postby disgracian » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:34 pm

Every species is in the middle of change, every fossil is a 'transitional' fossil. You don't surely think that the idea of a 'species' exists in any greater capacity than a term of convenience?

This is of couse all going to fly over your head, because after all this time you still talk about 'theories' and 'facts' as though they are mutually exclusive, demonstrating that you haven't absorbed any knowledge at all on the topic. Evolution is fact, and the Theory of Evolution attempts to describe how it works. Just like gravity is a fact, and the Theory of Gravity attempts to describe how and why objects of mass attract one another. Is it that hard of a concept to grasp?

And why shouldn't I compare Islam with Christianity? Both are backward religions from the Middle East that share the same primitive moral codes and vengeful deities, and both preach an eternity of suffering for infidels and attempt to crush the human spirit with diatribes of self-loathing.
Cheers,

Return to “Talk Zone”