The God Delusion

Talk about anything you wish

Moderators: SCUMBAG, INKoRP, Clan Leader

Greatbloke
Clan Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Greatbloke » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:07 pm

:roll:
Attachments
haahaeu4.jpg
haahaeu4.jpg (36.56 KiB) Viewed 2237 times

Leone
Clan Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Leone » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:03 pm

SCUMBAG
Clan Leader

Postby SCUMBAG » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:39 pm

this needs to be published

Gubben
Clan Member

Re: The God Delusion

Postby Gubben » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:37 am

At the expense of playing a few rounds of ql i just read this whole thread and lmao.

I dont have the intellect nor knowledge of science, evolution or theology to add anything useful, but dv8 i'm sure Catholocism wasnt around when the bible was written so "god" couldnt have referenced it and also, wasnt he attributed to having "written" the 10 commandments in stone? And the bible (which "HE" didnt write i'm sure) was written by men over a few centuries at first, with the current version dating back to King james only a century or two ago?

As for the Dead Sea scrolls didnt they originate from a group called the Essenes from which Christianity seems to have adopted many of its teachings...(where "Jesus" supposedly did part of his schooling)?

What god, that created man in his image, would create such a sadistic and maniac species in his honour?

Why doesnt this god answer prayers? I mean do the millions of starving and poverty stricken people's prayers ever get answered?

What god would create a system that was so divisive and contradictory that it would manifest eternal war and bloodshed in its name?

All this confuses my sense of logic

But a damn fine read i gotta say

edit: btw i would have to say i am agnostic, as i dare say atheism is as stubborn minded as religious belief... show me the proof...
Last edited by Gubben on Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

SCUMBAG
Clan Leader

Postby SCUMBAG » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:56 am

yer it is a fkn funny read

Dv8
Clan Member

Postby Dv8 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:09 am

I will respond to this tonight im very busy today , but why Scumbag would re-ignite a debate that has been dead since 22/10/07
i can only assume he is bored , and ready to provoke again .
I will reply at length later .

cheers.

SCUMBAG
Clan Leader

Postby SCUMBAG » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:55 pm

i replied because this thread is gold and the newbies to the forum can enjoy !
it was never meant to antagonise provoke anyone or re-ignite old fires :nono:

its just so fkn funny

spud
Wiggles

Postby spud » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:11 pm

SCUMBAG
Clan Leader

Re:

Postby SCUMBAG » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:12 pm

Gubben
Clan Member

Postby Gubben » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:24 pm

Spud, a weak position? I wouldnt characterise my agnosticism in the way you've worded it beyond 'gee i dont know'. The rest suggests im hedging my bets and that aint the case at all.

I believe in evolution. I believe that the planet is alive and we are part of that life force, and that evolution can exist in something that is either created or already exists (ie the matter that banged big like) The fact of life on earth is amazing and i have spent most of mine observing it and pondering it, travelling the globe for my work and meeting different people and cultures. I may not have academic quals like you guys obviously have, but i have extensive life experience and with all that i still have no idea what the bigger reality could actually be and believe me i've thought about it a lot (even have a script for a film on it but thats another story). Science can only answer so much because beyond that we dont even know what the questions are, let alone the answers or how to measure them.

I have never bought the interventionist god theory, don't believe some personalised dood in the "heavens" is watching over us, cos he'd be one sick bastard if he was, and didn't do something about his little experiment. But, as with science, if new evidence comes to light, then i would re assess those beliefs... Such evidence would be at least a second coming... or a new slab of stone with a pak3 update or patch...

lol scumbag

kplxz

Re:

Postby kplxz » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:57 pm

Last edited by kplxz on Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kplxz

Postby kplxz » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:09 pm

*at the risk of whatever being said...I'll throw some 2c in...

Gubs:

I dont have the intellect nor knowledge of science, evolution or theology to add anything useful, but dv8 i'm sure Catholocism wasnt around when the bible was written so "god" couldnt have referenced it and also
- Cathlocism isn't Christianity - it's a clergy driven version of it and a nasty one at that imo

wasnt he attributed to having "written" the 10 commandments in stone?
- the interpretation of the commandments and the events around that time aren't set in stone (pun much lol). without being there I wouldn't take too much of the whole thing without a pinch of salt other than the obvious; which is one of the Bible's main messages: virtue leads to one outcome and vice another...

And the bible (which "HE" didnt write i'm sure) was written by men over a few centuries at first, with the current version dating back to King james only a century or two ago?
- I'm pretty sure noone's ever said God wrote the Bible? As in ink and paper or typewriter? Other than from the concept that everything is God therefore...in any case, the Bible is an account of events that needs a LOT of studying and interpretation...most parables in it are very hard to understand completely! Not to mention it has been changed by the clergy throughout history a number of times (e.g. ref. Pope Gregory 14th)

As for the Dead Sea scrolls didnt they originate from a group called the Essenes from which Christianity seems to have adopted many of its teachings...(where "Jesus" supposedly did part of his schooling)?
- Jesus didn't do any "schooling"...the Essenes were a group that originated from Egypt as were the Pharisees...but sheesh this history and these events need much studying and cannot be read via some text at a shallow level...

What god, that created man in his image, would create such a sadistic and maniac species in his honour?
- What is man? Are we our bodies? Our feelings? Our thoughts? To think we are just our body is an illusion...again a lot of study needed...

Why doesnt this god answer prayers? I mean do the millions of starving and poverty stricken people's prayers ever get answered?
- What a man sows is what he shall reap...cause and effect...these principles are necessary for something that is eluded to but requires a lot of study aka true Christianity taught reincarnation. The Cathars were teaching this true form for hundres of years after Jesus passed over..they were hunted down...6 miilion of them killed by the (Roman) "Church" who were by then well and truly in fulls team power mode. This is connected to the Trinity of the City States that exist today. They officially are governed by old Roman law. Lots of study.....

What god would create a system that was so divisive and contradictory that it would manifest eternal war and bloodshed in its name?
- Life wasn't meant to be easy? Also free will is necessary to attain selfhood...lots of study...

All this confuses my sense of logic
- Life is not just logic :) Stop thinking for a bit and go from there imo

But a damn fine read i gotta say
edit: btw i would have to say i am agnostic, as i dare say atheism is as stubborn minded as religious belief... show me the proof...
- doubting Thomas had this problem also...cannot teach something to someone who does not believe it is possible...faith is not just a word just as belief is not...lots of study and as Dv8 pointed out many pages ago - practice. Theory and practice...

jay
Clan Member

Postby jay » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:17 pm

So much to say to agree and disagree with you all in this topic, but I don't have the energy to argue lol! :D I hate religion and those who push it on people as much as I hate the atheists who ram their beliefs down peoples throats.

Let me finish by saying: Religion is like a cock. It's fine to have one and it's fine to be proud of it, but please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around...... and PLEASE stop trying to shove it down our children's throats. :lol:
Arguing on the internet is like winning the special Olympics. Even if you win you're still a 'tard!

kplxz

Postby kplxz » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:23 pm

Religion and Systems of Belief are not the same thing. A system of belief can be used without being religious. I personally think all religions have a path within them that lead to various aspects of truth - just the same as a river or a seeding flower does...

btw jay you're referring to domga there?...dogma/proselytism are lame +1 to that :)

hardy

Re:

Postby hardy » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:30 pm

Return to “Talk Zone”