Headphones

Talk about anything you wish

Moderators: SCUMBAG, INKoRP, Clan Leader

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
spud
Wiggles

Headphones

Postby spud » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:03 pm

this could probably go in the music forum and the tech forum so I figured since it covered so many areas I would put it here. Homosexual admins should feel free to move if you want to ;)

I've recently been on a bit of an audiophile kick and went a bit berserk buying new headphones for different purposes.

PC: I bought some Beyerdynamic DT 234 pro's for the PC. They basically came recommended as the best gaming headphones money can buy (unless you're a filthy rich bastard).

I must say these headphones are awesome! Crystal clear music, amazing positional audio for games, small and comfortable. I highly recommend these, coupled with an Audigy2 ZS it makes for a great solution for PC audio (lol sounds like an ad :P). I picked mine up from for $169. You could probably find it a bit cheaper if you looked.

Portable: I have an iRiver HD340 mp3 player and wanted a set of circum-aural headphones. I picked up a set of phones. They are fairly small for circum-aural and OMFG do they sound awesome! Very balanced clear sound that pumps out the bass without losing the mid or high end. Not really everyones cuppa for travelling but I don't really like earbuds or canalphoes and these just sound too damn good to let big earphones get in the way! I picked mine up from for $219.

Hi-Fi: I really wanted a powerful set of earphones for listening from my amp. I picked up a set of . These things are fuckin behemoth! Huge cans with a goddamn huge sound - the bass just pummels you, blasting metal with a fury! These things sound better than speakers.

I also picked up a aset of Shure E3c canalphones a while back and had been using them for the mp3 player. They sound very good but I found them annoying and didn't like the feel in my ears. Sometimes it would take ages to get them in properly as well. Not recommended :(

So yeah, let us know what you use for headphones or, if you prefer speakers, let us know what you have!

blink
Admin

Postby blink » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:11 am

I've got a pair of . They sound pretty decent to me, though nothing that blows me away (they're quite neutral sounding, but that I consider that a good thing). Bought them from headphones.com.au, which I just found out is literally two buildings away from the company im doing my main university project for :D
You and your red fabric robe, glasses and peace pipe in your mouth for that damned split second!

jof
Clan Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby jof » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:45 am

I bought a pair of about 6 months ago and they're preety decent for their price. I didn't know much about headphones when I bought it but I did read the open cans had better more clear sound, but I wish now I'd got a closed pair because I think I prefer the warmer sound. I've got a fairly decent hi-fi but since getting these headphones I've really realised just how shit a lot of my mp3 collection sounds. Anything under 256kbps sounds shithouse.

Actually spud those Beyerdynamics look like the ones I was considering at one stage, but I baulked at the price. I kind of wished I'd forked out the extra now. I might get pair in the future.[/url]

spud
Wiggles

Postby spud » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:32 am

yeah blink the dudes who run headphonic are really good. They get to listen to a lot of headphones so their advice is pretty useful, plus they always get back to you really quickly - a great resource if you're planning to buy some headphones.

I'm the same jof, I like the really bassy sound. All my headphones are closed and I'm glad for it. Price is definitely an issue and the more expensive you go the less and less the payoff gets. The difference between a $50 pair and a $200 pair is fucking huge but the difference between a $400 pair and an $800 pair is much less (still there but much less noticeable). I personally think that for quality headphones that will be used from a HiFi to listen to CDs that $300-$450 is the price range you want. Look around and see what people say about the phones and make an informed decision. Think of it as an investment because you should never have to buy headphones again.

Greatbloke
Clan Member

Postby Greatbloke » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:40 pm

You've got me wanting a pair of each of those now Spud, LOL.

Over 20 Years ago I bought a pair of Stax Electrostatic headphones similar to these:

They don't use conventional speakers but electrostatic ones.

http://www.walrus.co.uk/stax/stax.htm

If anyone wants to know what electostatic speakers are here's a link to the wiki:

Do they sound good? .... I forget, one of my kids broke them years ago. LOL

Return to “Talk Zone”